Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pea Heaven  (Read 5096 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Pea Heaven
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2015, 06:42:29 pm »
15 metres is hardly going to work, so you use shorter lengths, depending on the area you have to hang them up while they start to grow.  I hang mine from the crop bars in the tunnel, several side by side.  We wouldn't use even 1x 15 metre length row of peas if they were all ready at once, so we have learnt to grow only as much as we need.  Beats faffing around with lots of little modules, or losing 95% of the peas you sow. :peas: :peas: :peas: :peas: :peas:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2015, 07:45:03 pm »
..as i said earlier.. i sow under chicken wire and don't lose seed. As for the crops in one or two large hits.. the spare gets frozen; the same deal with my broad beans (whch look about ready to rip out and bulk pick)

(first runners and climbing french today)

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2015, 09:10:40 pm »
......I'm keeping very quiet about those horrible little maggots which can infest a pea crop, in case they hear me and take it as an invitation.......
Pea moth - Very small caterpillar which eats into the peas.  Eggs are laid on the leaves, the larvae then eat into the pod and then tunnel into the pea.  The only pest which eats peas in the pods.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS