Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Broody Geese?  (Read 2098 times)

lesleysprite

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Fife
Broody Geese?
« on: May 02, 2012, 07:45:07 pm »
Geese were never on my list before as they seem grumpy and I just didn't like them. Starting to change my mind and doing some research. Can anyone tell me -do they make good broodies? are any particular breeds better broodies than others? and how much can your rely on them going broody (I have a supposedly broody breed of chicken and none of my 5 girls have ever shown any sign of it)? Thanks a lot

Lesley

Maggie

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Umberleigh, Devon
Re: Broody Geese?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 08:00:57 pm »
I'll let you know as soon as I can!  I was given a pair last year.  The male is definitely a grumpy guts but at least I'm the only person he wont bite because I give him treats.

As for broody.....  the female has been showing signs for about a month.  So far though, nothing.  Sometimes the eggs she has been sitting on (only 2 last time I looked) just disappear.  Maybe my dog gets them if he can get past the male.

smithycraft

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 08:33:31 pm »
Every year our geese sit on eggs for at about 2 months but nothing ever hatches.  We thought the gander might be infertile but when the first one was taken by a fox, we got a replacement.  Still nothing.  They are Embden and the male gets very grumpy in the breeding season but has never actually made contact with his beak.  He hisses a lot and runs at us but turns tail if we move towards him.

They are very noisy birds so not good if you have near neighbours but the eggs are lovely.

Sharon

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 08:38:36 pm »
We've got an Embden who's just gone broody. She played at it for a week or so, fluffing up the nest and sitting for a while then going out again. A few days ago she decided the time was right and is now sitting firm. She'll come out a few times a day for some food and water but if anything goes anywhere near the nest she shoots back there with the gander watching her back. He's got quite narky now she's sitting but it's all bark and not much bite so far. Haven't had them for long so we're still learning.

Elissian

• Joined Oct 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 11:43:11 am »
We hatched some goslings in the incubator and took them outside on day3, they chased the adult geese and seemed to know that they were the same  but the geese ran away to start with. after about 15 mins the gander took an interest in them. It was he who bonded with them and from then on they followed him. That first night we put the goslings into the goose house not knowing whether they would be alive the next morning. In the morning out stepped the 2 geese, the gander and the goslings a very tight knit group, we never looked back but it was the gander who was lead parent. They are toulouse geese and quite lovely

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 04:46:29 pm »
My Steinbachers, as well as being pleasant, sit very tight. So much so that now, after 5 weeks, they are a bag of bones and dirty feathers - I am having to throw them off their nest and insist they wash and eat!

I gather Breckn Buffs are also friendly, I don't know about them as sitters.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS