Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: tanning skins  (Read 2252 times)

fizzgigg

• Joined May 2010
  • bolton
  • catch it kill it cook it eat it waste nothing
tanning skins
« on: November 28, 2010, 04:43:15 pm »
hi just wondering if any one can help? i breed rabbits for eating and some for pets, but i hate wasting anything n the rabbits have really good pelts ive got loaeds of ideas of how to use them, its just the tanning bit, does any one do it? or know how to any infomation would bbe gratefully received.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: tanning skins
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 12:04:11 am »
A beautifully tanned rabbit skin is wonderful, but sorry i don't know how to do it.  I tried mole skins once with no success.  If no-one on here can help you are sure to find info from America if you do a google search.  Once you have tried, do let us know how to do it.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 12:31:52 am »
http://aces.nmsu.edu/pubs/_l/l-103.pdf

the above link covers what you are after I think . I have done the alum version of tanning /curing  , but not the others , so can't say how well they work . The Alum /salt version works very well , and I have done rabbits, sheep ,calf , badger , fox and all worked and lasted fine .
It is a long drawn out process , but well worth it if you want your own skins for personal use  ie to make a hat . But if you want to cure them to sell , then you may be better off getting it done by a company , as to get them really first class is tough work . It really is a lot of work to get them soft , but still possible if ? you are determined to do it .
Hope the link helps , it explains the process far better than I could , I would forget important bits ....

cheers

Russ   

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 10:13:16 am »
I use this company for the sheep and might be worth emailing her to ask - she's very approachable.     

www.organicsheepskins.co.uk

Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

fizzgigg

• Joined May 2010
  • bolton
  • catch it kill it cook it eat it waste nothing
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 08:32:37 pm »
thankyou for the replies im goig to have a try at d i y ing it and see how i get on i have also emailed the organic place il keep you all informed as to how i get on and hopefully some pictures

Jessie Natural Tanner

• Joined Feb 2017
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 06:00:38 pm »
Hi

I tan rabbit skins here in the UK - i use oak bark as a natural tanning method - much nicer than chemical processes - for humans and the earth/water its disposed onto!

would be happy to help you - or i run a tanning class in Devon, covering rabbit skins.

www.nettleseed.co.uk/courses

can post some pictures of how mine turn out if you are interested

cheers

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS