Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A heat wave round the corner  (Read 11702 times)

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
Re: A heat wave round the corner
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2013, 06:25:25 pm »
I love the chicken pictures on Facebook, they really make me want some rare breeds but I just dare not get any more until we move, this house is fine but many others will not be and I would hate to get hens for them to become Fox play things!!I am surprised as there is a big market for chickens...maybe you are too far away for the people who want them! :wave:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2013, 09:54:42 pm »
VF, I do hope things are better for you this year whatever you decide to do.  :hug:

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2013, 12:15:37 pm »
http://metofficenews.wordpress.com/2013/07/04/what-is-a-heat-wave/         7 days late             When was the last time we had a prolonged spell of hot weather in the UK?

The last time we saw a long spell of warm weather was in July 2006, where temperatures were above 28 °C in many areas for a fortnight. We have had shorter spells of warm weather since, however, such as the 23 – 26 July last year, when temperatures peaked at 30.7 °C.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 12:17:27 pm by Victorian Farmer »

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2013, 01:30:09 pm »
Right now I would be happy with slightly warm & dry weather  :raining:

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2013, 01:37:39 pm »
Beautiful blue skies here today - feels like that heatwave really is on course...thank you VF!
Ps like Sandy, I love your fb chicken page too
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2013, 06:19:51 pm »
I too am so sorry that you have been having such a tough time of it all VF. Its no wonder that food prices have soared in the shops if things are scarce and very expensive. I was out shopping with my friend yesterday, and I was telling her that a year or so ago, I used to do a fortnightly shop of Lidls, then one supermarket for my meat (it came from local farms) then a bigger supermarket for all the rest. I would spend around 150€ for the lot if I was careful. Nowadays, I can spend that in one shop alone. If I did the three, it would be around 250€ Im sure. Its quite worrying, especially as we are on a fixed income.
Anyway, its going to be lovely tomorrow, and we are having our first BBQ. We bought an electric rotisserie thingy to go on it, so Ill be doing a chicken. Hopefully it will be warm enough tomorrow morning for us to have our breakfast on the decking. We are then having a day in the garden. Loads to plant and loads of weeding to do after all that rain!!!!

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2013, 06:25:33 pm »
join the face book page lots of people in the same praticament tuff times : plumseverywhere

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2013, 07:55:51 pm »
Just sent you a request VF (Lisa Tanner) goat profile pic (surprise surprise...)  ;D
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2013, 08:27:28 pm »
Definitely heat wave - temperature inside my house above 20 degree for the first time this year! 20.3, to be exact. And only for a wee while late afternoon, as long as the sun was shining onto my bedroom window. But still.  :sunshine:

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2013, 08:34:45 pm »
Well folks we could have nice wether for longer than the forcaters say ...Il go for july yes a month of nice wether its going to be fantastic for us all.

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2013, 08:41:41 pm »
With a bit of rain during the nights, please - farmers are irrigating tatties here already!

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2013, 10:21:41 am »
This year's summer may be happening today... 10am, and 19 degree C already (in the shade, of course)! I've been out all morning watering... Too hot in  the sun for my liking. Never content, I know...  :sunshine:

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2013, 10:51:09 am »
The heat wave has arrived in NW France. :sunshine:
Only one problem...I don't like the heat!!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2013, 12:21:34 pm »
 :sunshine: :sunshine: :sunshine: and decidedly hot here. I've swept the goat yard and cleared up after the dogs, the washing's out but I'm in. I'll start on the weeding a bit later.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2013, 02:55:59 pm »
 :thumbsup: :sunshine: :sunshine: :sunshine:  But to me it means washing on the line....and my only summer dress is out

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS