Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Weeds in gravel  (Read 3707 times)

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
Weeds in gravel
« on: June 12, 2023, 01:12:49 pm »
I remember this was raised some time ago but I cannot find if now. What do people do. I have too much to try to tackle by hand I think as it is a gravel lane about 1/4 mile long and a parking area.
Path clear is now wholly ineffective

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Weeds in gravel
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2023, 01:21:27 pm »
I only have a small area but even having put down weed control fabric under teh gravel I've still got load - some of them are air-borne, some from plants at the edge, and some stubborn things like couch grass and nettles that get through anything.  I've been able to get rid of some with boiling water, and other by pulling out by the roots, but that's not feasible for you.  I've also sprayed with vinegar with limited success.  I think they're worse this year than in the four years I've been here
Sorry I can't b of any help  :'(
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2023, 04:57:17 pm »
Thanks. Worse than ever this year too. I could try vinegar. Any one have any thoughts on rock salt sprinkled lightly first?

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2023, 06:23:46 pm »
We have sprayed vinegar 18% strength and it is effective but expensive, so best saved for the persistent weeds like dandelion. We now use a propane weed burner which needs ear defenders. Cylinder goes in a wheelbarrow and with a 5 metre hose it takes 40 minutes to do a 40 metre gravel driveway, so it will be a long job and you may need two cylinders. Even propane gets so cold it loses pressure, so you may be changing cylinders over just to stop it freezing?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2023, 11:54:46 pm »
Pour concrete or tarmac over the gravel?
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2023, 09:44:58 am »
I am not sure tarmac or cement would work as water runs down the field and onto the track in heavy rain and I think the ground below would wash away over time.
I think it’s going to have to be a hand weeding, vinegar and hot gun approach  in combination.
If any one passes through Conwy and sees a weary, stooped chap with weeds in one hand and an expression of bewilderment about his life style choices…. That will be me!

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2023, 09:45:57 am »
What size gravel? I think they used to rake gravel, had the same effect as hoeing, exposing weed roots to dry out.
Flame sounds a good idea, just a quick whizz over should kill weeds, I don't think you have to see them sizzle, rather shrivel later.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2023, 09:49:42 am by Penninehillbilly »

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2023, 11:39:08 am »
The more the driveway is used the less the weeds grow. I can remember when cars leaked that much oil the centre of a track was always weed free!

The instructions on our gun say to 'blanche' the weeds, so a momentary contact is sufficient and with the flame at an angle it covers a reasonable area. The weeds turn a slightly darker shade of green, but dry out in a few hours of sun and "melt away" in a few days. Can't do it when it's windy because the flame keeps blowing out. Buy one with a self-lighter and get as long a pipe as possible. Ours is 6 metres but double would be far better- burn the length of the pipe, leave the burner on the ground and move the wheelbarrow to it. Can't use it in a dry period as you are likely to start a fire. Very much a case of burn when you can and fit all the other jobs around it.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2023, 01:32:07 pm »
I am not sure tarmac or cement would work as water runs down the field and onto the track in heavy rain and I think the ground below would wash away over time.
I think it’s going to have to be a hand weeding, vinegar and hot gun approach  in combination.
If any one passes through Conwy and sees a weary, stooped chap with weeds in one hand and an expression of bewilderment about his life style choices…. That will be me!

:roflanim: Oh dear, that's so sad  ;D  Beaten by gravel

Actually we have a gravel strip in our driveway, but we rarely weed it and it's full of flowers.  There is even a self sown rosebush which stops my son's car every time he drives over it (it's a safety measure of some sort). Great fun  :innocent:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Kiran

• Joined Apr 2019
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2023, 07:00:47 am »
I've been using a roofing torch. It sounds like a jet engine when you pull the trigger. It's effective but a tad concerned about fire spread when it's been so dry so not been used for a while. I can't use weed killer as the bees are relatively close to the track

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2023, 08:52:05 am »
Why does it need to be plant-free? 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2023, 10:18:48 am »
not plant free, weed free
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2023, 06:28:21 pm »
not plant free, weed free

Yeah, that is what i was getting at.  Lots of "weeds" are nice plants, good for bees and other insects and so on, so i was wondering if a change in mindset might work better than a constant battle against nature...
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2023, 04:13:52 pm »
I have poppies in my gravel, and just found a tiny red leaved plant which i immediately recognised as Heuchera   :excited: :excited:

The Heuchera has been potted up, and the poppies have been left.

The rosebay willow herb, couch grass, and false nettle are now fading away  :innocent:

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2023, 12:34:54 pm »
Sorry haven’t responded. The weeds are a mixed bag of the pretty and the pretty invasive. Currently hand pulling still but will have to go in with vinegar and salt next.
The drive runs down to our holiday let and we have to strike a balance between ‘relaxed gardening’ and ‘over run with weeds’

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS