CornishFarmer

« on: September 16, 2011, 01:59:10 pm »
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 12:57:50 pm by Worzel Gummidge »

Fronhaul

• Joined Jun 2011
    • Fronhaul Farm
Re: Flystrike
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 03:56:20 pm »
We have just tried Zermasect as an alternative.  We found it excellent.  Crovect has an 8 day withdrawal period and Zermasect a 28 day withdrawal.  Table 4 at the link below gives some more detail of your options:
http://www.vmd.defra.gov.uk/pdf/ectoparasiticide.pdf

Pasture Farm

• Joined Aug 2011
  • East Lincolnshire
  • Trusty Traca
    • Pasture Poultry
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 04:05:39 pm »
Last time i had a sheep go down bad with strike i sheared really hard as short as the old clippers would go, its amazing how many maggots the clippers will take, then a LARGE tripple dose of Spot on (only thing i had) rubbed into the area and pulled out as many as i could, next morning not a maggot insight the Ewe was a bit fragile for a while but she fully recovered.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 04:42:18 pm »
With a bit of TLC they will recover from really quite bad flystrike attacks. I have a spray from the vets (Strike Plus), its handy to have in your pocket for summer inspections. Kills the maggots quickly, but is as far as I know not a preventative.  (I also use a preventative during the summer, like Vetrazin or CRovect, but you can still get the odd one being attacked).

In bad case/hot weather bring the ewe/lamb inside (with a friend), clip as close to the skin as possible and wash wounds daily with Savlon solution, plus Engemycin or Terramycin (blue) spray. Long acting antibiotic injection also recommended. Spoil her for a wee while with a bit of hard feed. Once the skin dies off I use a soothing cream like udder cream (or other ointment) to help speed up healing.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS