Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Balding sheep again..  (Read 9266 times)

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
Balding sheep again..
« on: December 28, 2012, 01:14:17 pm »
Seem to be perpetually battling fleece loss - usually positively ID'd by vet as biting lice.  Crovected through Autumn, and just got in to treat with spot on this morning.... previous thread responses may point to rain scald  .....my concern is as the weather stays misearble (but at least not very cold) - should I put the worst one inside (with or without a companion?) or is it OK outside once the spot on has dried and sunk in - keeping in this afternoon at least so that that can happen).  Only one manky one at a time usually, but it has lost a bit of condition.  Any thoughts greatfully recieved as always, F xx

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Balding sheep again..
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 06:43:06 pm »
PICTURES  ????      Spot -on needs 2 hrs to absorb into the skin and get into the bloodstream .     Better two sheep together than one on its own.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 07:59:39 pm »
Do you know why you keep getting lice? Do you have sheep neighbours?

Crofterloon

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Mintlaw
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 04:51:18 pm »
I may have the same problem, just one hogg effected just now.
I have treated all hoggs in the park with dectomax and a spot of clik on the back of the neck except for the balding one it got clik all the way along the back. Just treated them boxing day so its a bit early to tell how sucessfull I will be.
I will let you know how it goes.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 06:32:28 pm »
 I assume  CROFTERLOON  that you have made a mistake on the product name, as CLIK only stops blowfly. Lice does not affect only one sheep in a group ,just different levels of infection and balding over a large area is not a common symptom.                                                                                                                       FOOBAR  since i stopped dipping i have had lice every winter , it seems that a few lice survive treatment and the summer to increase in the autumn, always starts in the lambs.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 04:23:33 am »
Do you crovect for lice post shearing and treat the lambs at the same time?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 09:33:33 am »
With the weather we've been having I'd suspect rain scald.  The skin becomes so denatured (especially if you had to shear late and the fleece hasn't had a chance to grow back as long as usual) that it's open to infection by dermatophilus congolensis.  A few of ours were affected this summer when the weather turned relentlessly wet after they were shorn in late May.  Fleece just seemed to fall out almost overnight.  We sprayed the skin with antibiotic spray (made them look like a photograph of the Earth from space!) and let them have access to shelter.  No further problems and all fine now.

Tilly

• Joined Jan 2011
  • "Possibilities and miracles mean the same thing"
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 11:41:55 am »

....if it is biting lice ,don`t forget the old fashioned louse powder is very effective .

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012, 01:26:43 pm »
Do you know why you keep getting lice? Do you have sheep neighbours?
O yes!!!! :-J   And I may be wrong, but I suspect they are largely untreated (for anything!!).  They are welsh mountain, so may be hardier than mine and less affected by the lice.  Thanks for replies all.

Crofterloon

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Mintlaw
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2012, 01:54:31 pm »
No I used Clik. Crovek only last about a month Clik about 60 days, I know what it says on the product buts its cliks I used. I have been told this by a few farmers up my way.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2012, 07:01:57 pm »
Do you crovect for lice post shearing and treat the lambs at the same time?
  NO i treat the ewes with CLIK and the lambs have already had clik in may , blowfly is the only worry and CROVECT at the lice dose rate and application rate won't protect against blowfly, since i have to cover for ticks autumn /winter this does the lice as well . The experts all tell me that the lice can survive in the ear which is why plunge dipping worked.
No I used Clik. Crovek only last about a month Clik about 60 days, I know what it says on the product buts its cliks I used. I have been told this by a few farmers up my way.
  INTERESTING might be ok but the two products work in totally different ways, as said above i CLIK every thing in the summer but still get lice late autumn.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2012, 01:34:27 pm »
Clik doesn't kill lice.
If you are having an annual problem with lice I would suggest that you treat with Crovect off shears (as it works best then) and treat all the lambs at the same time (at the lice rate).  This is because the ewes will have passed the lice onto the lambs.  I would also then move to a different field - one that has not had sheep in for 3 weeks.  You must do all the sheep at the same time, otherwise it will be a waste of time.
If you have dodgy neighbours, then double fence your boundaries or talk to your neighbours and agree a treatment strategy.

Crofterloon

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Mintlaw
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2012, 06:09:27 pm »
Clik does not kill lice but it does discourage lice scab etc, I think the Dectomax does the killing

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2012, 06:52:54 pm »
Clik does not kill lice but it does discourage lice scab etc, I think the Dectomax does the killing
DECTOMAX  will kill sheep scab  but not biting lice in  sheep, it will kill sucking lice in cattle and pigs

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2013, 09:21:45 am »
PIc for you Shep53 - this area occupies about a third of one side.  Have now 'belt and braces'-ed for parasites ( I think) as vet suggested dectomaxing this weekend (I went in to ask should they come out to do a skin scrape and they said 'it wouldnt be the wrong thing to do ' to treat with Dectomax.) So I have.  Thye all have free access to an open fronted barn where there hay rack is - so I'm hoping she will take shelter when it turns cold next week... or should I not trust that and pen her with a coupl of others?  I read this article and am now worried about hypothermia!!!

http://livestocknw.co.uk/factsheets/sheep_scab_or_lice_can_you_afford_to_guess_lnw_factsheet

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS