Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: what to do withgrass ment for hay! is it too late?  (Read 3045 times)

sarahdean_66

• Joined May 2012
  • Yelling Cambridgeshire
what to do withgrass ment for hay! is it too late?
« on: August 25, 2014, 02:39:41 pm »
Got 4acres of grass which a guy was ment to cone and cut for hay but we've not had a break in the weather! Is it too late now? And if it is what shall I do with the grass to make some money to buy in hay for the winter! It's poor fencing and I've got sheep horses turkeys and soon chickens in the top end which I've fenced some and In the middle of fencing some more but can't afford to do it all yet!

honeyend

• Joined Oct 2011
Re: what to do withgrass ment for hay! is it too late?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 04:33:16 pm »
You are not far from me. I think they will take a second cut, they did last year, I think they cut late September October last year in Fenstanton. It depends what the farmer when he comes is going to charge you, I paid £3 a bale stacked in the barn and they are tight heavy bales, Luke Farrer off FB, if you have only a few sheep will a couple of round bales do, about £25 -30.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 04:59:58 pm »
Up in the frozen wastes ;) we often don't get our hay until late July or August, and we've made hay in September a couple of times.  We've grass cut now that we are hoping might make big bale hay tomorrow, otherwise it'll be wrapped and be haylage.

However of course our growing season and climate differ from yours so I don't know what your grass is like.

If not hay then I'd have thought it would make silage, providing you have contractors able and willing to get on and do it for you.  And then you would be able to sell the bales off the field if there are local farmers with livestock to feed and a tractor with squeezy arms or a spike to come and collect the bales.  Just make sure you add up all the contractors costs before agreeing a price per bale to sell at though - we reckon it costs us nearly £15 per bale to make round bale silage, so wouldn't sell for less than £20 per bale.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

sarahdean_66

• Joined May 2012
  • Yelling Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 05:18:32 pm »
Ok thanks guys. Luke farrer is ment to be coming to cut it for me just with the amount of wet predicted wasn't sure if we would get a weather break!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS