Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: a big learning curve with today's lambing  (Read 3143 times)

wellies

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shrewsbury
    • Fairfax Ryeland Flock
    • Facebook
a big learning curve with today's lambing
« on: March 01, 2013, 11:00:44 am »
Hi everyone, thought I'd just share our lambing experience from yesterday. We had one tiny female single born who had slightly bent back hooves so was walking on her joints. Today she has been splinted and the vet is hopeful they will straighten within the week. Unfortunately as she was being born another of the ewes gave birth a week early to a dead ewe lamb. It was fully formed and well developed but had died inside. The ewe was beside herself and full of milk. We had a set of twins born last Sunday so we split those and (with lots of assistance from my friendly sheep farmer) skinned the dead lamb and popped it onto one of the twins to foster on. Luckily the ewe has taken to the twin wonderfully and it's original mum doesn't seem to have noticed she has misplaced one of hers. Such a tiring day and learnt so much but would rather not repeat any of it again  :wave:

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
Re: a big learning curve with today's lambing
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 11:23:45 am »
gosh thanks for share, thats one to go thorough (.... rushes to put farmer friend into speed dial!)!  I am also dreading having to deal with prolapse. makes me crosss my legs.

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 11:36:37 am »
It's amazing how each lambing year can vary so much with some years seeming to go relatively smoothly and others a right nightmare!  One thing for sure is that you learn something new with every lambing.  I seem to spend weeks prior to the expected arrival of the first lamb worrying about what I might encounter and imagining all sorts of complicated deliveries and happenings!  Sounds like you had quite a trying time with your lambing experience yesterday but great that you also have a friendly sheep farmer to lend a hand when needed - always a big benefit!   Really pleased to hear that the adoption has gone well and that Mum has something to mother and love bless her.  Good luck with your others - how many more to go?   I am still awaiting my first arrival of the year and then start in earnest mid March through to mid April.   :fc:

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 11:58:04 am »
Cor blimey .... what a day! Glad the adoption worked out.

Our mobile butcher has just called and told us that a farmer in our area is having a hell of a time due to the dreaded S. virus. Quite nervous about lambing this year.  :(  Ours are due mid- April.

smee2012

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 10:01:01 pm »
Oh no!  :(  Lucky that you had your farmer friend to help! Glad things turned out fairly well in the end though  :sunshine:

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 12:02:01 am »
Hope your nerves are settling . I read this post minutes after you wrote it and, being of no experience, felt I couldnt comment to help.
With this experience behind you next time should be so much easier  no matter what happens   :fc:

wellies

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shrewsbury
    • Fairfax Ryeland Flock
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 09:14:13 am »
Thank you for your support everyone :) . The ewe with the adopted lamb is doing really well and she is very much in love with 'her' new daughter. The lamb with the splints is suckling well and learning to move around with the bandages and splints She is proving to be a rather tenacious little thing and her mum adores her regardless of the great big blue bandages around her front legs. I really am hoping for some easier lambings for the rest of the season. We've got 6 left to go between now and the middle of March. I do feel incredibly lucky to have 3 live lambs who haven't been affected by SBV though and with the awfully wet winter, lack of dry land and grazing we have had here I was always a little worried it would be a difficult lambing this year. I'm now just keeping my fingers crossed for the last 6 and of course all you guys who have yet to finish your lambing time too  :hug:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS