Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Comfrey and Sheep/Lambs  (Read 4802 times)

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
Comfrey and Sheep/Lambs
« on: May 28, 2013, 09:11:28 am »
We appear to have more Comfrey than usual this year. The grass is fine in the field but the lambs are picking at the Comfrey.

Caught one lamb (7 weeks old) nibbling at it this morning again, she wasn't interested in the hard feed that went out today. Am concerned.

You experiences please, and should I get rid of the Comfrey?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Comfrey and Sheep/Lambs
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 09:23:24 am »
Comfrey is a wonderful feedstuff for sheep, if you mean the Bocking 14 type used in the garden.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 09:24:39 am »
You don't need to worry.  :thumbsup:

I've got Lawrence D. Hills book Comfrey Past, Present & Future and he describes how sheep in Ireland were stall-fed on comfrey, and how it's used on farms in Wales as a source of early high protein for sheep in spring.

We've had it eaten by/fed to poultry, sheep, pigs, ponies and cattle. The hens at our old place free-ranged and decimated a big comfrey patch in the spring with no ill effects. By LDH's reckoning it's very good for the health of your stock.

If you are worried, cut it down and make liquid plant feed by putting it in a water butt or other container. In a few months it'll be a black, thick, stinking liquid, but fantastic watered down as a feed.

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 09:45:17 am »
Thanks for the fast replies guys. That's a relief.   :hug:

I'll leave it be. The bumble bees will be pleased too.  :bee:

:sheep:   

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 09:51:00 am »
My goats love comfrey and I'm sure the sheep would if they could get a look in!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 01:01:46 pm »
Yes my goats love it too, and get a regular munch of it!

sh3ph3rd

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Queensland, Australia
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 01:27:47 pm »
Over here it's known as 'knitbone' and both humans and animals use it. It contains active ingredients including allantoin which speed up the healing of broken bones and other wounds, whether applied in a poultice/ointment, or steeped, or fed, or whatever. It's sold in shops in little jars too. I've used it reliably for that extra quick healing of broken bones and wounds with animals.... When I can get it to grow. It doesn't like my part of Australia. It's also pretty nutritious and works as a poultice on the inside for damaged gastrointestinal tracts..

There's a fair bit of conflicting advice and as far as I know there are at least two varieties, one of which gets badmouthed a bit. We used the blue/purple flowered one, I don't trust the pink flowered one offhand. Did a quick search and came up with this info:

Two species, S. asperum (prickly comfrey) and S. uplandicum (Russian comfrey) contain very high levels of echimidine, one of the more potent alkaloids. Adding to the problem is the fact that these varieties are sometimes labeled as “common comfrey”.

The one we use and trust is: Comfrey (Symphytum officinale) which is "a perennial plant with broad, hairy leaves and purple flowers."

Which isn't much use without photos I guess but at least you know not all comfreys are to be trusted. The older variety (blue/purple flowered) in my opinion is safe, and that variety has the most literature backing it up over the centuries, but always pays to know your specific herb when your animals are eating it... Best wishes.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS