Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How many cages will this rattle?  (Read 19063 times)

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
How many cages will this rattle?
« on: November 22, 2009, 03:58:14 pm »
> *_Let me see if I understand this…_*
>
>
> *IF YOU CROSS THE NORTH KOREAN BORDER ILLEGALLY YOU GET 12 YEARS HARD
> LABOR.*
>
> *IF YOU CROSS THE IRANIAN BORDER ILLEGALLY YOU ARE DETAINED INDEFINITELY.*
>
> *IF YOU CROSS THE AFGHAN BORDER ILLEGALLY, YOU GET SHOT.*
>
> *IF YOU CROSS THE SAUDI ARABIAN BORDER ILLEGALLY YOU WILL BE JAILED.*
>
> *IF YOU CROSS THE CHINESE BORDER ILLEGALLY YOU MAY NEVER BE HEARD FROM
> AGAIN.*
>
> *IF YOU CROSS THE VENEZUELAN BORDER ILLEGALLY YOU WILL BE BRANDED A SPY
> AND YOUR FATE WILL BE SEALED.*
>
> *IF YOU CROSS THE CUBAN BORDER ILLEGALLY YOU WILL BE THROWN INTO
> POLITICAL PRISON TO ROT.*
>
> *IF YOU CROSS THE BRITISH BORDER ILLEGALLY; YOU GET A JOB, A DRIVERS
> LICENSE, SOCIAL INSURANCE CARD, WELFARE, FOOD STAMPS, CREDIT CARDS,
> SUBSIDIZED RENT OR A LOAN TO BUY A HOUSE, FREE EDUCATION, FREE HEALTH
> CARE, AND IN MANYINSTANCES YOU CAN EVEN VOTE.*
>

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
Re: How many cages will this rattle?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 04:03:33 pm »
that about sums it up ......and this all began in 1997 ....This can be checked and validated ....

cheers

Russ

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 04:05:29 pm »
It's no wonder this country's in the state it is  ::) ???

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 05:24:44 pm »
i know which country i'd rather live in and i'm glad we are a bit humane in treating people who are infinitely worse off than us lucky enough to be born in the uk

are you suggesting we should shoot anyone coming into the country fleeing persecution?

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 05:31:49 pm »
How I feel about it would depend on why the person came to Britain.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2009, 05:35:48 pm »
I don't think for a second any one is suggesting that be the case. I think we at are just peeved off that it seems these "incomers" get it too easy. Sad that so many people want to enter our country and then we have to change our customs so as not to offend them. Dundee Council have changed the "Christmas" lights to the "Winter" light so as not to offend.... This is wrong, we are a Christian country!!!

Proud to be British when today it's PM and it's Opposition Leader have to apologise for causing offence on Rememberence Sunday? They should hang their heads in shame but because they have said "sorry" everything is ok.

cmorrell

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Kirkintilloch, NE of Glasgow
    • Calum Morrell Photography
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2009, 05:38:20 pm »
Well it certainly rattled my cage, but that's mostly because I'm tired of seeing the same incorrect rubbish being bandied about constantly.

If you arrive in the UK illegally you will most likely be detained in a centre which makes most jails look like 5 star hotels. If you are not detained, you are not allowed to work and you will receive no benefits, have no public record and therefore be unable to gain credit cards, subsidised rent or a loan. You will not be entitled to vote.

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2009, 05:47:36 pm »
This is wrong, we are a Christian country!!!

what do yo mean by that? is that a law now?

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2009, 05:52:47 pm »

Who mentioned law, we are a Christian Country?

Norfolk Newby

• Joined Aug 2009
  • West Norfolk, UK
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2009, 05:58:47 pm »
I know this doesn't cover all these arrivals, but if someone has managed to get here, he or she probably has some energy and persistence and probably some intelligence as well.

As a result, they have the makings of an asset to this country. I should add that a recent leader of the Conservatives - Michael Howard - comes from Romanian parentage, the Milliband brothers are of Russian descent, the Grade brothers, who became entertainment impresarios, were born in Tokmak in the Ukraine. I just mention these examples to illustrate my point.

I accept that there needs to be controls on the arrival of foreigners.

I live in Norfolk and the local farming 'industry' has depended on mainly eastern European workers coming to pick salad and fruit crops. Last Summer, there weren't enough and many crops were left in the fields to rot. However, some of these immigrants stayed and we now have a Lithuanian delicatessen in the little town where I live.

I can understand that when there are large groups of immigrants forming a ghetto it can be worrying and should be prevented if this can be done without causing offence to either side.

Anyone unable to find a home or a job can see immigrants, particularly when there is an area with a lot of them, as the cause of their problems. And that can also cause friction.

I feel proud of my nationality when I hear of this country doing something to improve the world (support for poor and starving people in Africa would be a good example). I am ashamed when I hear of us causing pain in countries where we have little to justify our presence (no names but I hope you can guess). I think we have lost a lot of our standing in civilised countries as a result.

I've probably said too much so I will stop there.

NN
Novice - growing fruit, trees and weeds

sandy

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2009, 06:02:55 pm »
People try to better themselves and their families lives...that's OK with me...work hard...contribute to the economy and abide by the rules.

People already in the country do not always contribute either....they expect a house...money every week....free health service...free prescriptions...etc etc. The amount of people I see around who have never worked and have nice clothes, nice car, nice home!!!!

I don't think it's really about immigration, I think it#s about the benefit system...it certainly needs sorting out...both myself and my OH have and do work with Asylum seekers, some have very sorry stories to tell, one family I worked with moved me a lot BUT on the other hand, they were suspected of having "hidden" away money as in the country they had come from they had a large factory....the husband was in the last stages of AIDS and died 2 day's after arriving in UK, the wife only got in as she was a Nurse but had no intention of working!!! as I said, they were a lovely family but I felt they were jumping on the same bandwagon the politicians are on...ALL you can get for free!!!!!

sandy

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2009, 06:08:20 pm »
P.S...a lot of us are immigrants or at least decendants of imigrants!!! People want a better, safe life and like animals, flee to safe places!!!! I came to Scotland!!! many of my ancestors left!!!!!

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2009, 06:22:04 pm »

Who mentioned law, we are a Christian Country?

i'm not a christian - so am i not welcome? I actually think religion should be removed from all laws/ceremonies of the country and the churches should never be asked for their public opinions on any matter relating to the governance of the country

also many immigrants come from chirstian countries - are christian immigrants ok?

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2009, 06:24:56 pm »
For the record Im not a practicing Christian either.

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2009, 06:34:31 pm »
i think Sandy has hit the nail on the head - it's not about immigration or nationality or race. it's about contributing to society.

I read a report a few years agoand it related specifically to Scotland, but i wouldn't be surprised if it could be applied to all of the UK. Basically, there was a "skills" shortage - but it was at the bottom of the ladder. Scotland needed low paid, low skiled manual workers to do all those unpleasant jobs no one wanted to do

So immigration was to be encouraged to fill these jobs - but at the same time, there were plenty able bodied Scots sitting on their arse picking up benefits as it was preferable to doing menial, minimum wage labour.

I know a lot of Polish immigrants (and i know they are hear legally) and they hae a great work ethic. Many a scottish tradesman has been upset because they work harder and are cheaper (though, of course, like all trades, they have their share of cowboys)

If someone can come here and contribute - then fantastic. But what we need to do is make sure we don't encourage ANYONE to sit at home and pick up benefits when they can and should be out contributing their share.

Maybe we should simply shoot/imprison/deport anyone who claims benefits for more than 6 months rather than turn every immigrant away at the port.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS