Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: I hope all Scots are not as stupid as this  (Read 22479 times)

kevkev57

• Joined Sep 2008
I hope all Scots are not as stupid as this
« on: August 06, 2009, 08:52:27 am »
Now I tread on thin ice, so thin you can see the water below it.

Even in full knowledge that there are a clan or three here.   

To make matter worse its me an Englishman , in one swoop, generalizing and putting all Scots into the basket marked ' stupid '

Why oh why do I do this terrible thing ?

Read on.

In the office where my dear lady works is a man from Dundee.  I no longer refer to him by his real name, prefering to call him Mr stupid.

He recently did a trip to Scotland. Upon returning to work on Monday he started to feel ill. He phoned a doctor at 10.30am. The doctor has confirmed that in all probabilty he has swine flu. The fact that his brother in Dundee has it as well, does not help !   

Then Mr stupid, goes back to the office, against the rules set in place for this flu. Walks around tells everyone who wants to hear that he has flu has been given tamiflu and will be off work for a while !  Luckily panic was setting in by the time he got to see my dear lady wife. She and two ther female friends went off to the ' rest room ' ( it is an American company ! ) until he had gone.

Ok, you can catch it on a train, but at the moment cases are very few and far between here , so his actions must be considered stupid.

I actually know that Scots are not all stupid, as you invented the phone, or was it a Englishman ?

Kevin

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: I hope all Scots are not as stupid as this
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 09:03:44 am »
Kevin - no offence taken. Dundee is less than 15 minutes away by car from here and it is a scarey, scarey place. It does have some very nice parts but the general opinion of Dundee, in my opinion, is just as you described Mr Stupid. My niece was a Police Officer in Dundee and OMG the horror stories she could tell of some people's way of life!

kevkev57

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 09:28:18 am »
But....BUT,, they know how to make cake !
kevin

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 10:24:29 am »
your Mr Stupid must have been the top of his class - he figured out how to get out of Dundee!!  :dunce:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 10:50:43 am »
But then what about the  stupid English people who went over to Mexico and brought it back on the plane even though they were feeling ill while they were there.  I don't think you can limit stupidity to one nation.  Oh, and by the way, we have a great programme on up here at the moment called Made in Scotland.  Believe me we Scots invented a helluva lot more than just the phone - that was Alexander Bell.

Wikipedia takes a humorous look at the list - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_inventions

Oh and strangely enough we didn't invent the bagpipes!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 10:55:35 am »
or haggis, tartan and whiskey

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 10:56:30 am »
nor sporrans - they were originally dead badgers worn to protect genitalia by ancient warriors ;D ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

kevkev57

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 11:23:30 am »
fried mars bars

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2009, 11:34:12 am »
Oh, I think we DID invent those ;)
It is said to have been invented in the Haven Chip Bar in Stonehaven, near Aberdeen on Scotland's North-East coast, in 1995. The first recorded mention of the food was in the Daily Record, August 24, 1995, in an article titled "Mars supper, please".
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 11:35:59 am by doganjo »

cmorrell

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Kirkintilloch, NE of Glasgow
    • Calum Morrell Photography
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2009, 04:48:30 pm »
Could we possibly try to forget we invented the fried mars bar and blame it on aliens instead? Please?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2009, 06:05:49 pm »
Well, how about white puddin suppers, haggis suppers, haddock suppers - that OK?  And the light bulb before that ither mannie got a haud o' it. ;)

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2009, 06:11:49 pm »
can i add Deep fried pizza to the list invented by aliens (yuk yuk yuk) Only ever eatten it once and it was horriable.

Oh and don't forget the raw mince dish (can't remember what it's called) I believe (could be wrong) invented in scotland

Linz

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2009, 06:15:31 pm »
Never heard of that one Linz - you'll have to elaborate. As for me I'm off for my fish and chips - cooker beeping at me!

cmorrell

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Kirkintilloch, NE of Glasgow
    • Calum Morrell Photography
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2009, 06:25:47 pm »
I seem to have a dodgy stomach (nothing to do with this conversation, though it's not helping!) so all I'll be having is a wholegrain baguettine with some tuna mayo and see what happens.

Oh, and my garlic.... hmm, that's another thread.

Janette1970

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North Lincs
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2009, 07:08:53 pm »
Scotland is lovely, but its full of scotts!!!!

Brother-in-law is scottish..... say no more!!!! ::)

There are some lovely Scottish people out there,  Ewan Mcgregor and I'm sure there's another?!?!?!? ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS