Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Should a goat with an auto immune condition be vaccinated ?  (Read 1199 times)

Boerandgoldengoats

• Joined Apr 2021
Should a goat with an auto immune condition be vaccinated ?
« on: September 15, 2023, 09:39:16 pm »
Hi all

I managed to finally locate and vaccinated all my herd with their 6 monthly booster with Heptavac P.

I have not however given one of my boys his booster and I don’t know what to do for the best. He has had a fair few health problems (UC surgery which by some miracle he survived, UTI’s etc) he was not very well over winter and has had quite a bad reaction to medications.

He went through a phase of any mediation causing his face to swell to the point we were worried about his airways and the steroid injections given by the vets did not make any difference , ulcers in his mouth and throat which lasted months and he was unable to eat, he had a vitamin injection due to anemia and it caused him
To have a temperature, infection and he needed antibiotics we thought we were going to loose him. Due to the amount of reactions he kept having he’s had bloods which showed issues with his liver and high protein levels. My vet advised me to avoid any medication if at all possible due to his reactions, he’s also has 2 pretty severe worm burdens which we’ve struggled to treat as he seems to have been resistant to a number of wormers. Touch wood we’ve managed to sort the worms now.

My vet said we don’t know if he has an auto immune condition, I have no idea what to do about vaccination, I know pulpy kidney is a risk and it terrifies me but equally due to his past history I’m terrified if I give him a vaccine and he has another reaction again it could kill him. My vet understandbly can’t give me any reassurance that the vaccine won’t negatively impact him.
I know not vaccinating is a risk but I don’t know what to do, he’s been vaccinated 6 monthly since a kid and unfortunately his bad health this year did start after his vaccine booster so we don’t know if it was linked. He is coming up to 4 years old.

I’d just be grateful for anybodies opinion as to what they would do in my situation with a goat with more complex needs. I am
Absolutely not against vaccines but I’m worried at the moment the risk does not outweigh the benefit. I’d be so grateful for any opinions or advice

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS