Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: First pigs - on land previously grazed by sheep - the fluke?  (Read 2196 times)

Fishyhaddock

• Joined Apr 2009
  • aberdeenshire
We picked up our first pigs and they are gradually settling in. :D
The pig area is on land previously grazed by sheep earlier in the year. The breeder mentioned about treating to prevent the fluke.
Anyone offer advice on this. Will worming be sufficient?  ???
Anyone had any problems with their pigs on land where sheep have been.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: First pigs - on land previously grazed by sheep - the fluke?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 08:14:23 am »
Ask your vet for some wormers specific to fluke

sarha

• Joined Jun 2010
  • East Sussex
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 02:08:24 pm »
Liver fluke needs the mud snail to continue the cycle. The eggs in the sheep faeces ( or ay infected animal) use the snail as a host then the snail lays eggs which in turn any grazing animal can eat. Most sheep/cattle farmers use Fasinex as it treats the three stages of fluke. I dont know if there is anything on the market for pigs, but you could phone a company like Merial or Norvatis.If you live in a wetter area and there have been lots of mud snails in the spring/early summer, you can bet that cases of fluke will be very high come autumn.Hope that helps....probably doesn't, but thought I would share!!
Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines; sail away from the safe harbour; catch the trade winds in your sails. -  Mark Twain

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 06:49:08 pm »
Thanks Sara I found that interesting and useful.   :pig: :D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS