Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Introducing new pigs!  (Read 4267 times)

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
Introducing new pigs!
« on: August 02, 2010, 09:54:27 am »
Our 5 cornish blacks have settled very well (been with us 4 weeks) and yesterday we picked up 4 GOS weaners (they are MASSIVE!!!). All went well with introductions - they were more amazed with what grass and mud were having lived in a barn since birth!

Although all pigs are getting on, the new ones would not go in the arc last night - We changed all straw and added their straw from the trailer so it didn't smell only of the existing pigs but they just weren't interested! I'm pretty sure the 4 of them slept outside last night.

We're moving an older arc down into the paddock this evening in the hope that they'll use this one  ???

Just looking for some reassurance really!! :-[ :pig:

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
Re: Introducing new pigs!
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 10:32:34 am »
This can happen sometimes when introducing new pigs.  I've found it can take 2 or 3 nights before they all share an ark........Or more quickly if it happens to rain!

If I have to introduce new pigs into a paddock that only has one ark I put up a temporary 'ark' made out of straw bales to make sure everyone has somewhere to sleep while they sort out who is who.

Enjoy your pigs   :love: :pig: :love:
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 10:51:17 am »
Thanks julie, maybe I'll turn the sprinklers on to speed up to process! ;D

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 02:19:35 pm »
It's a wee bit late to point this out now, but I personally would have kept the 4 GOS seperate for a while. Just to make sure they were all fit and healthy and not carrying any disease before putting them all in together. I'm not being funny - but have you read the codes of recommendations for keeping pigs ?
Under the biosecurity section mine says "Incoming stock presents the greatest risk to the health of the herd as regards infectious disease. You should have isolation facilities so that you can isolate and test incoming stock for a period when they arrive, before they join the rest of the herd"It's from the Scottish executive, so I don't know if the English ones are different  ???
Maybe a bit anal in some folks eyes - but I personally, wouldn't be taking any chances.

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 03:47:40 pm »
Not anal at all Karen.

It is  something I do if I bring new stock in from another herd......It didn't cross my mind to mention it as I haven't brought any new stock in for a long time.

Hopefully loosey won't have any problems, but it is always a risk. 
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 09:05:02 am »
Hi Karen, the 4 new ones went to a neighbour of ours for a week before they came to us. He has some old fashioned livestock stalls and has agreed to quaratine anything we get - we just have to give him as much pork and as many eggs as he can eat! ;D

They seemed a lot more relaxed last night. I spent half an hour with them all and gave the new guys a bit of a scratch (when daisy wasn't throwing herself on the floor on her back and begging for a belly tickle! ::)) Also because I'm a complete push over I made Rob put another pig arc in there ... I justified it by saying that now there is more sleeping space, they can stay in this paddock for longer!  :-[

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 09:04:02 am »
Hi on the topic of quarantining I planned to put my new boar in the stable for a week before introducing him to the girls. Will he be OK on his own for a week and should I then plan to introduce him to the girls through fencing?

HappyHippy

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 10:42:12 am »
Hi Helen, I think he should be fine for a week (frustrated, but fine  ;)) Is he of a similar size to your girls ? If so I'd be tempted to put him straight in, otherwise he might just go through the fence - depending on exactly how 'frustrated' he's been  ;D Let us know how you get on and good luck !

powispigs

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shropshire
    • Powis Pigs
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 11:54:25 am »
We tried to introduce through fencing with our first boar but he managed to get through as frustration took over!  Our second boar we put in as soon as he was settled which caused alot less chaos  :pig:

skidley

• Joined Jan 2010
  • On the Marsh, Kent
    • Fairview Ginger Pigs
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2010, 12:43:53 pm »
I kept my boar on his own for a week in a paddock at the far end of the field from the girls but he could see them. He was fine and the fence only suffered when I put one of the gilts in with him and she escaped trying to avoid his advances!

as I only had the 2 gilts at the time I wanted to stagger the farrowings so that he wasnt on his own for too long. but the girls were happier to meet him mob handed so we had the first to litters within a week of each other!

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2010, 12:47:03 pm »
Thanks all. He's a bit smaller than the girls but not too much. I think I'll put him straight in with them after isolation. I would like to stagger farrowing but not enough pens to keep them seperate.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2010, 10:52:32 am »
How many gilts are there to get pregnant?  Xmas litters will be dearer to feed through till the spring.  I dont know whether its the same there, but here we cant breed enough piglets for sale for March/April/May but NO ONE will buy from September to March.  Sorry not trying to be a Job's comforter ...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS