Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wanted: Live daphnia (waterfleas)  (Read 4906 times)

cabbage

• Joined May 2012
Wanted: Live daphnia (waterfleas)
« on: May 25, 2012, 04:20:50 pm »
Hi

Sorry, this isn't really a swap, although I have grown a lot of cottage garden plants from seed this year so maybe ...

I installed a wildlife pond a month ago and have been searching in vain ever since for some live daphnia to clear the algae. I have tried various petshops in the area and finally found one who said they could order them for me but after two failed attempts to have the order met I am beginning to think I will never get the water in my pond clear! SO, if anyone  around Hereford has any or knows of someone who stocks them I would love to hear from you.

They can be ordered off the internet at fifty pence a bag but the cost to have them posted on to me is seven pounds plus!!!!!

I don't want to go down the barley straw route as I am hoping that by introducing daphnia I will be adding a food-source for newts.

Many thanks, Angela
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 04:36:23 pm by cabbage »

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
Re: Wanted: Live daphnia (waterfleas)
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 05:07:49 pm »
Pity you are in Hereford -

I would be looking in Aquaculture labs of various unis - Swansea, Plymouth, Sterling, Bangor, Liverpool probably all have them.

Often used as the feed for larval fish production/penaeids.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 05:10:29 pm »
Cabbage,
I can't help with the daphnia, other than local aquatic shops, but wanted to say that our pond (at the place we have just moved from) had an ultraviolet light fitted.  The water was pumped over the light. In 7 years I only changed the light bulb once and always had fantastically clear water.
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 12:29:10 pm »
You used to be able to get them from places that breed Tropical fish, or take a jamjar to a municipal lake or park pond , just beware of introducing diseases into your pond . :fc:

deepinthewoods

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 12:38:48 pm »
i think their marketed as sea monkeys or something similar??

nic99

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 02:58:14 pm »
Sea monkeys are artemia, not daphnia. I would have thought if you leave it long enough they will introduce themselves. It is amazing all the different wildlife that shows up seemingly from thin air. Pond snails are also excellent algae eaters. I would suggest going and collecting a scoop or two of detritus from an already established (and healthy) pond.

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 10:29:24 am »
When I used them as food for my fish I just dipped them out of he cattle trough, I'll have a look see in my water butts and see if my anti mozzie goldfish have left any. I they have and you can work out how I could post them, I will post you some!
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
    • Somerset Pet Sitting and Dog Walking
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 10:09:19 pm »
When I used them as food for my fish I just dipped them out of he cattle trough, I'll have a look see in my water butts and see if my anti mozzie goldfish have left any. I they have and you can work out how I could post them, I will post you some!
Great minds think alike Don.../ my exact thought was troughs and butts!!!
From 3 to 30 and still flocking up!

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2012, 10:21:45 pm »
I checked but my goldfish have et em all. Working goldfish :love:
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS