Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: crowdfunding  (Read 3204 times)

david c

• Joined Jun 2013
crowdfunding
« on: March 12, 2016, 02:11:10 am »
Anyone used crowd funding for raising pigs?  Meat for reward, no equity. Contemplating to raise funds to get my piglets up  to weight and as a way to get some revenue up front for some infra structure plans I've got for housing and fencing.

Any experiences? Did you use an agri site or standard crowd funding one?

Cheers,

David

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Re: crowdfunding
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2016, 08:25:41 am »
sorry to be negative but if you cant afford them now, don't expand for more pigs. there is very little profit.
if you cant feed the ones you have, slaughter them younger, ad say there are suckling pigs.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2016, 09:26:37 am »
I haven't a clue what "crowd-funding" is but is it something like I used to do? I would breed a litter of pigs, family and close friends would buy one, I would rear them, they paying for feed, worming etc. plus a bit extra to pay for my pig's feed. They would pay for slaughter and butchering.
This way I would have all the work but get my pork for nothing, they would have their pork but without the work and worry.
I would also ask for £10 per pig for my trouble.
Was it worth doing? well, yes to know that family were well fed but profit- wise, not really.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2016, 01:08:42 pm »
We've looked into selling quarter pigs via pre-order.  I suspect most of our customers will already be buying our eggs from the farmgate.  I think you need to do some tub-thumping about traditional breed, traditionally reared with superior taste.  I will be applying for TSG status before I sell my GOS, (which are all pedigree and will have been birth-notified), to reinforce their special taste and history.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2016, 03:48:12 pm »
I do much as Devonlady says.  Main point is that it is naturally limited in scale.  Just heard of another commercial pig farm in Yorkshire slaughtered all and sold up.  The prices are not sustainable at present.  However, it may well prove better for pedigree/ smallholders in a year or two as domestic production is dropping sharply right now so could drop too low.....

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2016, 09:15:56 pm »
I am running a pig club this year, basically someone decides whether they want a whole or a half pig.  I factor in all costs, cost of weaner, feed, slaughter and butchering etc.  Club members pay a third at the beginning, then a third half way through then a final payment taking into account if they want sausages etc.  It does work out a bit more expensive than commercially reared pork but people appreciate its free range and they know where its come from.  However I do insist that if a payment is missed then they don't get any meat.

happyharry

• Joined Jun 2014
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2016, 09:12:14 pm »
I am running a pig club this year, basically someone decides whether they want a whole or a half pig.  I factor in all costs, cost of weaner, feed, slaughter and butchering etc.  Club members pay a third at the beginning, then a third half way through then a final payment taking into account if they want sausages etc.  It does work out a bit more expensive than commercially reared pork but people appreciate its free range and they know where its come from.  However I do insist that if a payment is missed then they don't get any meat.
That's a great way of getting committed customers. Well done you. I don't see why crowd funding would not achieve the same result ?
I suspect that the secret is to market the pork as a "premium product" because, as has already been commented, there is very little margin in commercial pork.
Think "artisan..baker.. cheese maker.. brewer... etc"  Buy from any of these and you'll pay twice what the commercially produced "equivalents" might cost.
But... there is a market for "artisan pork" . Firstly, ensure that you produce a top class product then market it well, package it well, build a good story around it, and don't be afraid to charge a good price.
Q.  Why do people buy a  BMW, Mercedes or Jaguar for £30K+ when they can buy a perfectly good Ford for half that price ?
A. Because they can afford it and it makes them feel good (and they can impress their peer group - they think.)

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2016, 01:24:10 pm »
I've been lucky enough to own an old Ford in the past and a new Audi in the present.  Both do the same job but the latter is a more quality experience.  Same applies to commercial Vs home reared quality pedigree pigs.  You pays your money and you takes your choice.

kja

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2016, 06:31:13 pm »
I've been lucky enough to own an old Ford in the past and a new Audi in the present.  Both do the same job but the latter is a more quality experience.  Same applies to commercial Vs home reared quality pedigree pigs.  You pays your money and you takes your choice.

Well said Pharnorth. I sell weaners from £35 - £45 depending on age  you can buy weaners at market from £5 but it will take a lot of work to get them to finishing  some of them look as though they shouldn't have been weaned and desperate to be wormed.…. all our herd is vaccinated against Ery and all wormed and birth notified fed on ad-lib creep to give them the best start possible. Cutting corners can cost a lot of money in feed in the long run.
we can still learn if we are willing to listen.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS