Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lambing timescale?  (Read 1462 times)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Lambing timescale?
« on: April 06, 2019, 12:04:33 am »
I have a 1st timer, she was restless about 6pm, brought her nearer shelter about 8pm, she was holding tail out, 45deg. Noticed the goats do this when immanent .
11.30 pm, wet back end, and small 'bubble', maybe an inch or so? She didn't want me near so I left her for a while, but how long should I leave it if nothing else happens?
Lost a goat and kids last year because sheep man looked and said 'not ready yet', so im even more nervous this year.
Hoping somebody is around to advise at this hour  :fc:
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 11:43:02 am by Penninehillbilly »

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Lambing timescale?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2019, 12:56:48 am »
She could be restless for some hours before a lamb starts to emerge, but usually between one and two hours from wet bum to seeing feet. 

If she seems to be straining from time to time, that’s good.  If she stops straining and goes back to grazing and cudding, that might not be good.

Once you can see feet, you just want there to be progress.  If nothing progresses for more than half an hour, time to offer a gentle assist. 

If you have reason to expect overlarge lambs, or more than two lambs, or any other factors which predispose to difficult lambing, you might start to worry sooner than you would if it was, say, a Shetland gone to a Shetland tup.

The biggest worry if you don’t see any sign of feet in the next half an hour or so (writing this at quarter to one, so over an hour since she had a wet back end), is that it’s stuck, breach, or a dead or sickly lamb.  Stuck or head first might need a leg pulled forward, breach will need delivering quickly, a dead or sickly lamb often malpresents.  And in all cases, any lamb behind could get into difficulties, so you don’t want to wait too long to assist if it’s one of those.

If no sign of feet, or if she seems to be giving up, in half an hour or so, I’d get her penned and have a wee exploratory feel.  If the toes and nose are within reach, you could probably let her try a bit longer.  But if there’s only one foot, or no feet just a head, or a tail, or back feet, then you’d need to deliver.

Hopefully by the time you read this she’s already produced and is licking her lamb(s) ;)

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2019, 01:56:51 am »
Thanks Sally
Anybody there?
Feet just showing, nose above, still inside her, I've tried pulling the feet a bit, too slippy, but head seems too big? Am i being too impatient?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 02:05:50 am by Penninehillbilly »

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2019, 02:20:01 am »
Head too big because her pelvis or vagina is too narrow, or head too big for the feet?

If things don’t move along, or if she stops trying, or if she starts to dry out, then get yourself well lubed and get in there. 

Track up the leg from the foot until you get past the knuckles (wrist), then you should be able to get a grip and gently pull the legs forward.  Doing them one at a time might be best if the head and or shoulders are large.

As it’s her first time and the head is large, you might need to help loosen the vulva.  Lots of lube, just work it gently over and over, it will stretch to let the head through.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2019, 03:44:18 am »
Thanks Sally
Bit traumatic for us, OH went back down with me, we pulled her out about 2.30, big head. Thank goodness for my plaited baleband dog lead, managed to get it round a foot, pulled that, then the other, then just pulled it out. Poor mum worn out i think,, didn't want to know baby at first.
Got them inside, just going back down with warm water for her, fresh straw etc. Check she's OK and lamb up and feeding. Not sure whether to go in and see if there is another, surprised only one so far. She's big.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2019, 04:40:20 am »
I'm a bit concerned I haven't seen after birth, but she seems settled, had some ewe nuts and a drink of water, left her eating hay and making mummy mutters to lamb.
As she isn't still pushing or pawing, can I presume there was only one? Or should I have put my hand right in to feel inside? Didn't want to interfere more than I had to. Lamb is a  funny looking thing, hopefully photo tomorrow  :) . Dad was a Beltex x, I know Beltex have clumsy looking heads, didn't tnink he looked bad.
Should I phone vet in morning and get some painkiller or something for her?

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2019, 06:45:15 am »
sounds like you did the right thing, usually after pulling the first lamb the second (if there is a second) comes out pretty easily.  If your still not sure if there's another lamb you could try feeling for one, if its deep inside you should just feel the outside surface of the bag, has the same feel of a balloon. The afterbirth can take hours to come out, just keep an eye on her, if it hasn't detached by lunchtime I'd be concerned

It sounds like a pretty straightforward assisted birth, I wouldn't think she'd need a painkiller or meds?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2019, 11:47:01 am »
Well done, sounds like you did a good job.

She might eat the afterbirth but you would expect to see some bloody straw, at least.

I would have had a feel for a second lamb, yes.  You can usually feel it by palpating the belly, externally, but after a big lamb got stuck, it’s worth an internal check if not sure because after being held up behind big bro or sis, any second lamb could be in distress - or worse - and need fetching out sooner rather than later.

Unless you feel you had to be rough with her, or the birth canal had dried out and there was friction, as she seems happy she probably doesn’t need painkillers / anti inflammatories.

If she seems anything other than bright and bouncy over the next few days, it’s probably worth giving her some antibiotics. 

Looking forward to pics of the “funny-looking” lamb!  :D

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2019, 11:47:45 am »
Mum and baby seem well, afterbirth out.
My hand was in about halfway up my palm, trying to get a hold, couldn't get my hand much past nose, too tight.
A lot of blood round her back end, do I let it dry, wash it or trim it all off
TIA
Cross posted Sally, maybe it was stress, maybe head was swollen, doesn't look as bad in the clear light of day. Got photos, will put desktop on later to upload  :)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 11:50:51 am by Penninehillbilly »

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2019, 05:16:38 pm »
lamb this morning.
Thought she would be dead by the time we got her out, amazed when she immediately lifted her head and shook it  :) .

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2019, 11:18:23 pm »
Aww, she looks just fine  :love:  :sheep:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS