Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Selling Surplus Pigs  (Read 2947 times)

Lewis1986

• Joined Jul 2023
Selling Surplus Pigs
« on: July 31, 2023, 09:59:22 am »
Hello,
   I'm new here, and hopefully new to Pig ownership.

Would anyone be able to assist me with a few questions please?

I want to bring pigs to our property but understand that I might end up with more than I can eat. Plus I'm looking at if I can offset my costs by selling some of the surplus animals.

1: Can you sell direct to Abattoirs or do you have to take them to Market?
2: What is the average Kgs rate you get back from where you sell?  [I understand there are a lot of variable but a rough guide would be appreciated

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Lewis]

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
Re: Selling Surplus Pigs
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2023, 09:30:43 pm »
I can't help you [member=227431]Lewis1986[/member] but I'm thinking your post has been missed by someone who can help - so i'm posting to re-kick yours.

Richmond

• Joined Sep 2020
  • Norfolk
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2023, 09:07:07 am »
We line up our pork buyers BEFORE buying the weaners, so we know we won't be left with surplus. We normally get 3 weaners, keep 1 for our own use and sell the other 2 to friends. We sell either as a whole pig or in halves.
Weights will depend on what breed you have.
Don't think you can sell to an abattoir but you might be able to sell to the butcher if you don't have private buyers. Talking to your chosen butcher would be a helpful first step for you. We have a good relationship with ours and he collects our beasts (both pigs and sheep), takes them to the abattoir and then we go over to the shop once the carcasses come back and look at them, discuss what we could be doing better regarding feeding or whether we've got it right and how we want it cut up.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2023, 12:44:29 pm by Richmond »

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2023, 12:36:39 pm »
Only get enough weaners to cover what you can eat to start with. Only when you know you can produce a good product (not taste but acceptable fat/meat ratio) would I think about selling. It is very hard to find butchers that will take your pigs at a price that makes it worthwhile. Equally selling through the auctions won't give you a good profit margin. You will stand more chance selling to friends and family and even then people let you down, don't want certain joints and so on.. Selling meat takes a lot of research and effort to make a viable business. As Richmond says line up your buyers first.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS