Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: hop garden?  (Read 2933 times)

thenovice

• Joined Oct 2011
hop garden?
« on: April 22, 2013, 07:53:34 pm »
This year the local farm seems to have not bothered with its last remaining hop garden. The hops are sprouting now, but they havnt even been strung or dressed yet. Im tempted to ask if I could take it over for a season, but have very limited experience. Am I mad?  :thinking:

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
Re: hop garden?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 11:02:56 pm »
No, it sounds fun! I've been looking into hops but worry we're too windy. I'd love to come and help you from time to time to learn how it works. You've got more experience than me if you know they have to be strung and dressed - sounds more like a turkey to me!

H

thenovice

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 07:10:48 am »
It would be loads of work, and I would have to find somewhere local to dry them. I love the smell of drying hops, but sadly not very common now, even in kent. My mum, and her mum, and her mum before her used to pick over there, to get money for shoes or coats for the kids. Part of it is nostalgia I must admit

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 12:24:59 am »
If you have specific questions, Mike Barker at Essentially Hops was really helpful when I sent him a long list of random hop related questions. They've also got a farm shop over near Canterbury so you might be able to go over and have a look at what they produce from hops and have a subtle look round their farm (you never know, they might be more than happy to show you round at a quiet time - I imagine most local hop growers would be keen to keep the tradition going)!

H

thenovice

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 10:10:26 am »
Thanks for the info, keep saying to the good lady we should go Canterbury again soon. One of my neighbours is one of the few local people who know how to string a hop garden. I will let you know what happens  :thumbsup:

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2013, 10:15:22 am »
I spent one college holiday picking hops in Faversham.  You had to wear the same clothes every day and then throw them out at the end because they stank and were completely green!  It was quite automated when I did it, but still the hardest work (exept potato picking) I ever did in the fields.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS