Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cattle trailer  (Read 8281 times)

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Cattle trailer
« on: July 26, 2013, 11:31:58 pm »
could someone tell me the name of the Ifor Willliams cattle trailer please? the standard size one.
what price would you expect to pay for a reasonable condition one?
thanks

Hassle

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lincolnshire
Re: Cattle trailer
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 08:07:16 am »
TA 510 expect to pay 1500 to 2500 approx for average

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 08:12:09 am »
thanks very much

si-mate

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Kent
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 09:31:15 am »
You can get a new 12' TA510 cattle spec for £3800 +VAT.

Doesn't make spending too much on a secondhand one worth it if it needs new brakes or tyres.

Hassle

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2013, 10:19:55 am »
To add to this I personally think Ifor Williams is loosing it's way the last few years new trailers the partition has to be tied to hold closed due to to thin metal used. The plastic hinges that hold the vent break very easily just in normal operation, and this by the person who paid for the trailer not just an employee, the older (15 year) box is more robust although the brakes have never been up to the modern trailer.

Now to be fair that was last year and the newer versions have resolved these problems, something I won't be looking at for a few years, but this does mean these lower quality trailers will be on the market wanting to be sold.

I've you are in a market for a trailer take a look at Hudson, they seem a lot more solid, like the Ifor's of 10-20 years ago.
They also have a drop down front for when running with an empty load and reducing the drag. 

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2013, 09:33:58 pm »
how many cattle can fit in this size? im guessing 2 or 3? (dexter /shetland size cows)  - if it was to be towed by a L200 or discovery?
thanks

Hassle

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 12:39:51 am »
Into a 12 foot ... Not dexter but real cattle  :innocent:... 1 Bull  or 2 cows with calfs or 3 steers/ fat bulls or 4 mix of steers and heifers

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2013, 08:50:55 am »
We too are looking for a cattle trailer for dexters ......... definitely don't need one that big........... 10' max .......... my 8 month heifers were delivered in a 9' ........... they tucked so neatly into the front less-than-half I thought they weren't in there! ..............  anyone recomend a Dexter sized model?
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Factotum

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2013, 09:19:26 am »
We have an 8ft TA5, 6ft headroom from Ifor Williams- we keep Shetland cattle and this size is fine for us. We looked at a variety of second hand trailers at the sales, but the selling prices were very high and the condition of some was not good. We decided to buy a new one.

If you're considering towing with the L200 - remember the towing capacity is 2700kgs - so an 8 or 10 ft trailer would be a good choice.

Sue

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2013, 09:33:06 am »
thanks very much.
a 10ft TA 510 is what i think im looking for. just need to remember that now.
many thanks.

Nina

• Joined Sep 2010
  • North/Mid wales
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2013, 10:14:23 pm »
That's exactly what we have, can fit (devons so slightly bigger than your dexters) 2 cows and calves, or bull and couple of heifers, or a dozen reading calves... picked up an older one but in great condition for £1300 a few years ago...

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2013, 08:08:17 pm »
iv seen one ebay that has a partition for horses. has anyone used this sort of trailer for horses?
we have cattle and ponies (14.2) but our pony trailer isnt legal for cattle as it has no side gates. we dont need 2 trailers.
 and could you use a trailer as an alternative for a crush for a bull?  would the internal gate be strong enough? or is that a daft idea.  i have presumed there is an internal gate but after looking at the brocheres i havent seen one. surely theres a partition to separate cattle from touching each other?
sorry for basic questions but iv never used one before.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 08:20:13 pm by shygirl »

Hassle

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2013, 08:33:22 pm »
i wouldn't use a trailer as a crush, ever, the partition isn't robust enough and you'd have to be inside the box to do anything

Factotum

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2013, 11:29:54 am »
It is possible to buy a cross division for IW trailers - see the accessories tab as here:

http://www.iwt.co.uk/products/livestock/ta510?tab=accessories

That looks to be fairly robust.

I wouldn't use the trailer as a crush substitute either - not safe at all. Better to get a dedicated crush, or use the old 'tie them up and squeeze them tight against a wall with a spare field gate' option.

We have a crush, and Steve has built a race from scaffold poles and a couple of field gates - the cattle go through this arrangement to access their shed and they are very familiar with it and not bothered about using it. Though there is the odd cow jam when one cow is going in and another wants to go out - someone has to engage reverse gear - that usually depends on their relative position in the herd...

Wouldn't be without it - makes jagging, tagging and worming so much easier - both for us and the cattle.

Sue

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2013, 11:54:26 am »
We use an IW TA 510 for cattle, sheep and ponies (we've got the 7' headroom one).  You can buy the proper horse partition to travel two horses side by side like in a normal horse trailer, but we just use the cattle gate and travel them like they would go in a wagon.  I either tie them to the left hand side, or usually leave them loose, in which case they choose to face backwards.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS