Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bitch In season  (Read 6852 times)

Flowers Farm

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Hampshire
Bitch In season
« on: September 03, 2012, 02:06:19 pm »
Hi There

My Vizsla bitch is having her first season and has taken to weeing and pooing in the house.

Thank god I have hard wood floors.http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/Smileys/default/raining.gif

At first this was only at night, but now she will just do it at anytime.

I am now worried that after 3 weeks this is now becoming habitual or is does this simply just go with the territory of her being in season.

A friend has suggested crating her again

Any tips would be most appreciated.

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
Re: Bitch In season
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 07:41:17 pm »
I wouldn't have said it goes with the territory. I've always had bitches and none have done anything like this.
I would certainly try the crate again also try to pre empt the toilet call by getting her outside before she needs to go and only coming back in when she's been.
HTH
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 09:05:03 pm »
I agree with M'skins - we've not experienced this with either of our girls.  I'd definately get her back to the crate training for a while - hope she's clean again soon for you  :fc:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 09:05:24 pm »
It may be worth a visit to the vets with a urine sample just to rule out cystitis or infection. If the results are clear then you can start training for a behaviour issue.

Flowers Farm

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Hampshire
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 09:41:09 am »
Thanks for your advice Mammyshaz, Beewyched and moleskins.
I will get the crate out and see how we get on.
With regard to the Urine sample how does one collect a urine sample ?

Many thanks again

Mark

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 10:40:36 am »
Carefully Mark, carefully  :roflanim:
No seriously - if you can get her to "go" on a clean sheet of plastic (opened-out bin bag) or if she's leaving pools on a hard surface inside/outside (that's not been treated with cleaners/chemicals recently) then get some into a container from there.  :fc:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 12:34:59 pm »
Agree with other replies ..... never known this with any bitches we have kept.
Have you changed her walks/outdoor routine due to her being in season and wanting to keep her away from other dogs?

omnipeasant

• Joined May 2012
  • Llangurig , Mid Wales
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 12:50:31 pm »
Me too, never had a bitch go in the house when she is in season. Hormones do funny things though and she might be a bit unbalanced. More likely it is an infection. Don't forget that bitches in season go to the loo more freequently anyway.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 04:12:47 pm »
I've never heard of it either - I suspect she has a urine infection - which IS common in heat.  Vet needs a sample and dog needs ABs I reckon.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 09:43:56 pm »
None of my bitches do this when they are in season. They do pee more often but thats only when they are outside and it more scenting than actualy needing to pee.
Is she getting out less or for shorter walks because of her season ?
Graham

Flowers Farm

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Hampshire
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2012, 04:53:01 pm »
Thanks again everyone
I can say that as soon as I reintroduced the crate she has been absolutely fine.
Not one mishap  :relief:
I did do some more research and this is what I found

http://www.petforums.co.uk/dog-training-behaviour/6426-bitch-season-soiling-house.html

It would seem that Im not the only owner this has happened to.

:relief: :relief: :relief:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2012, 05:14:10 pm »
All bitches go a bit strange when in  season - mine fight!  Damned nuisance but that's the survival instinct, I guess
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS