Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hodgehegs!! :-)  (Read 2459 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Hodgehegs!! :-)
« on: November 28, 2009, 11:00:40 pm »
Last year I made my Mum a Hedgehog House for Christmas, so when I was visiting this afternoon, I couldn't resist a wee peek under the lid and...... there was somebody home at last!!  ;D  We didn't want to disturb him/them, so quickly shut the lid again, but the nest of shredded newspaper, dry leaves and grass was pretty much unmistakeable, so I'm claiming mission accomplished!  :)

Just in case anybody else fancies following suit, the plans I used are on this web page, general details below (only takes a couple of hours). I made the plywood version, added some ventilation, and topped it off with a large felted overhanging roof to keep the rain out (similar to house A below). I'm definitely going to make a few more for our own garden now that this one has found a tenant!!

Cheers!

Womble.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 11:02:12 pm by Womble »
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

HappyHippy

Re: Hodgehegs!! :-)
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 09:54:10 am »
Great looking plans, and they are sooo easy to make (hey, I've done it and if I can manage it, well.................... ;)) I'm still waiting for someone to take up residence though !
Just want to say to anyone considering making one - ALWAYS make sure you've got the doubled entry system or long tunnel in, otherwise your little friends are at risk from dogs and foxes dragging them out  :(

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 11:23:46 pm »

Agreed!  I actually made the 'internal' tunnel on mine run the long way through the box (say from front to back). Also worth noting that Mr Hodgeheg has made his nest at the front of the box, i.e. as far away from the entrance hole (as he would see it) as possible. I also found that the easiest way to add ventilation was to cut a few small V's in the top of the box, which then gives drip free ventilation once the lid has been fitted.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 05:22:07 pm »
hurray some else calles the hodgehegs :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS