Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New born lamb rejected by mother. Need urgent help  (Read 20281 times)

marie

• Joined Apr 2011
New born lamb rejected by mother. Need urgent help
« on: May 03, 2011, 07:26:09 pm »
We have a new born lamb born around 4pm today. Its one of twins and mother pushing it away. Have tried to get the mother to accept but wont. Other ewes wont accept. Getting desperate. Please help.

Re: New born lamb rejected by mother. Need urgent help
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 07:34:36 pm »
Make sure they are in a small pen.

Hold Ewe and make sure lamb has a feed - even lay her down if needed while the lamb feeds.

If she still refuses to accept the lamb after a few hours then you may have to rig up the pen like an "adoption pen" where the Ewe's head is held in some form of yolk to keep her still and allow the lamb to feed without being pushed away.

.........or you could bottle feed........
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

marie

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 07:50:50 pm »
ok thankyou we are going to try that and other methods we have looked up to get the mother to accept it i will update on how it is doing later thankyou

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 10:17:03 pm »
You might have to go in every few hours, pin the ewe to the side of the pen, and hold the lamb to the teat. It sometimes takes a few days for the ewe to accept her lambs, keep them in a pen next to her, so she can smell them but not hurt them. (but better than bottle feeding for a few weeks...) Also for the first couple of nights tube the lamb with milk/colostrum from the ewe, or goatsmilk if you have it, saves you from getting up at 2am for a feed... about 150ml at 10.30 should last the night, then start again at 6am latest in the morning.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 12:07:07 am »
Another trick to help is to milk some from the dam then splodge it on the head and tail of the unwanted lamb - the ewe will lick it off.  It might be worth doing the same to the other lamb so they become indistinguishable
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

marie

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 05:30:57 am »
Thankyou for your advice. We tried to get the lamb to suckle from the ewe by holding her down, but lamb wouldnt and in the end bothe were getting stressed, also tried pening her tight but that didnt work. In the end someone gave us a recipe we could make up and have bottled fed every 3 hours. I made a small pen next to the ewe and so far all well. I put a blanket in for it so that it would have something soft to be with. It seemed to settle well. I'm not sure how I'll manage today with the feeds though due to work. I'll have to do them when I can.

princesspiggy

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 10:46:07 am »
we had that problem once, but they lambed in field so didnt know whose its mum was. we bottle raised him.

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 11:15:05 am »
Another trick is if mum doesn't push him around too much is leave lamb with her and substitute with bottle milk as well as feeding from teat but you will have to pen them all in.
We have also taken our dog into the shed with this kind of mum it is amazing suddenly how protective a mother will become when faced with a prediter, but i stress keep dog on lead and do not allow situation to become too stressfull so mother runs around pen and hurts lambs.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 11:18:42 am »
I assume you also made sure the lamb had got it's first drink of colostrum?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 06:04:40 pm »
Using a dog in the vicinity is one of the techniques mentioned by Eddie Stratten in his book on Sheep Ailments.

I quote:

"During the course of my practice I have discovered a simple and apparently infallible method, which I would like to pass on to all shepherds. Put the lamb and ewe in a small pen and bring the dog in. The ewe's in-born maternal instinct will more or less immediately stimulate her to offer protection and refreshment to the lamb. Keep the dog in the pen for 3 or 4 minutes. Repeat this twice daily until the ewe has settled down with the lamb. Seldom does this take longer than 4 or 5 days at the most".

I agree with feldar - If we had to do this with our sheep then I would definitely keep the dog on a short lead and the ewe and lamb in a small pen. I would also approach with caution in good visibility and not startle the ewe.

We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Mays

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2011, 06:57:03 pm »
remember as you feed substitute milk the lamb will lose the smell that bonds her to mum, one trick we did, that really worked well when we had the same problem, was to bottle feed lamb (kept it with ewe) then squirted the milk onto the ewe's nose/face... it was my hubbys idea & it worked  ::)

marie

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2011, 07:35:20 pm »
We are not sure if it got anithing when it was first born, but we did try and get it to suckle from the mother and it did get a small amount. But things have changed a bit. The lamb that was with the ewe has now died. Reasons unknown. The lamb we bottle fed is doing well. We have tried to rub the dead one on the bottle fed one and tried to get her to sniff it, but she is still pushing it away. We have also tried to get hold of her to try to get some milk from her but she is getting more distressed. She is bleeting for the loss of the lamb and we cannot do anymore for her. Her sacks are full of milk and we cant get the lamb to her to suckle. Can anyone advise on this.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2011, 08:04:54 pm »
Watch out for mastitis - can you handmilk her?  Keep trying with the lamb, hopefully she will eventually accept it (if you can get any milk from the ewe, try & get in down the lamb - it will keep the familial smell going) .  Have you tried the trick with the dog yet? - I have seen it work (under tight control though)
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

marie

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2011, 08:42:07 pm »
We have tried the dog trick but she still wont accept it. We will keep trying to get hold of her to milk her. Will try again tomorrow.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2011, 08:47:31 pm »
Notice you rubbed the lamb with it's dead sibling, you really need to skin it & put the "jacket" on the live lamb.
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS