Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Making small scale haylage  (Read 2776 times)

Hadynt

• Joined May 2022
Making small scale haylage
« on: April 20, 2023, 06:20:35 pm »
Hi all, I've had a look around the net and on various forums about making haylage but couldn't find an exact answer so hoping the fine folks here can tell me if my plan will make haylage or a stinking tub of black goop.

I've acquired some metal drums(oil type) previously used for transporting citrus juice so food grade and clean. My father has an acre of grass(not sure on type) that he wants periodically mown which I believe should yield a drums worth each mow. My plan is to put a strong plastic bag in the drum and half fill with wilted grass(left 2 days ish?) Squash down thoroughly to remove as much as as possible then layer another bag on top and repeat. I think I would get 3 or 4 bags in each drum. Once the drum is full put the lid on, putting pressure on it to make sure it's removed as much air as possible and then clip shut maybe putting a bag over the hole before putting the lid on.

Does this sound like it would work or would I need to do anything else to make this work?

I would prefer to make haylage as then don't need to worry about the hay getting wet, vermin etc

Thanks!

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Re: Making small scale haylage
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2023, 10:26:32 am »
Hi Hadynt,
Sorry,  only just seen this, have you decided to try it? I've seen posts previously about making it in sealed bags, so this seems to be just taking it a step further, I'm sure it's worth trying, that's the only way to find out :-).
Good Luck, please let us know what happens.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS