Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Smell of wee from patio  (Read 5070 times)

DenisCooper

• Joined May 2016
Smell of wee from patio
« on: July 17, 2021, 09:39:57 am »
Hey

I was wondering if anyone had some magical products or concoctions they use to get the smell of dog wee off a slabbed patio areas.

Our two french bull dogs have using the area as a toilet for a while now as we couldn’t let them out in the garden. They kept esacaping and found it so much fun to chase the chickens around - the chickens didn’t seem to share the fun.

We’ve finally managed to get the entire perimeter fenced off now and I want to give the patio a really good clean. We jet wash it every week and haves used various things like Jeyes fluid and washing powder and they do help but the sun seems to bring the smell out.

I’ve seen a few things online but you never know if they will be any good or not.

Thanks

HappyHippy

• Joined Apr 2020
Re: Smell of wee from patio
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2021, 09:56:35 am »
Bicarbonate of soda is my usual go to for removing wee odours, sprinkle it over the area, leave for a couple of hours then hoover or sweep it up. I'm not sure if it would work outside (I've only ever used it indoors) or what sort of quantity you might have to use though?
Good luck!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2021, 10:28:28 am »
If bicarb doesn't work, Young Living make an essential oil called Purification which is magic.  Just a drop or two mixed with water and sprayed over the area will not only take the smell away, but also make it unappealing for dogs to use again.

The ingredients are Citronella, Lavandin, Lemongrass, Myrtle, Rosemary, and Tea Tree if you want to have a go at making some yourself. (Lavandin is the oil from Lavandula hybrida, which is significantly more pungent than Lavender, which is from "English Lavender", Lavandula angustifolia).  They publish the ingredients but not the ratios, so I can't help you with the latter!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

DenisCooper

• Joined May 2016
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2021, 10:58:40 am »
Bicarbonate of soda is my usual go to for removing wee odours, sprinkle it over the area, leave for a couple of hours then hoover or sweep it up. I'm not sure if it would work outside (I've only ever used it indoors) or what sort of quantity you might have to use though?
Good luck!

Thanks. I think bicarbonate would work
In a similar way to bio washing powder but not sure. Might give it a go but I think I’d need to try find some in bulk :)

DenisCooper

• Joined May 2016
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2021, 10:59:52 am »
If bicarb doesn't work, Young Living make an essential oil called Purification which is magic.  Just a drop or two mixed with water and sprayed over the area will not only take the smell away, but also make it unappealing for dogs to use again.

The ingredients are Citronella, Lavandin, Lemongrass, Myrtle, Rosemary, and Tea Tree if you want to have a go at making some yourself. (Lavandin is the oil from Lavandula hybrida, which is significantly more pungent than Lavender, which is from "English Lavender", Lavandula angustifolia).  They publish the ingredients but not the ratios, so I can't help you with the latter!

Great thank you I’ll take a look. Those ingredients sound like they might keep flys away to. We always seem to get them
In the house this time of year so might try some of that indoors too.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2021, 02:52:24 pm »

Great thank you I’ll take a look. Those ingredients sound like they might keep flys away to. We always seem to get them
In the house this time of year so might try some of that indoors too.

One bottle still available on ebay for a tenner - I just bought the other  ;D  Thanks Sally  :dog: isn't reliably continent yet.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

PipKelpy

• Joined Mar 2019
  • North Shropshire
  • Dreamer with sheep.
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2021, 09:40:23 am »
Sterilising Fluid! Our Flo goes out a side door and we are constantly cleaning it up. We have to because it's only a small area and I need accurate pee stick readings. She won't always let me catch it so as long as the floor is clean, the sticks are good.

No matter how crap you feel, always remember you're one of the lucky ones with your own piece of land and loony sheep!

DenisCooper

• Joined May 2016
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2021, 10:14:52 am »
Thank you

Which fluid in particular do you use? I’ve used Milton fluid on it and it does seem
To help.

PipKelpy

• Joined Mar 2019
  • North Shropshire
  • Dreamer with sheep.
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2021, 12:32:35 pm »
Miltons too expensive. We use it neat! Home Bargains or B&m version, 89p litre. I use it neat in the lambing pens, ewes don't mind it. Clean out in winter, usually unable to use too much water, put that down, sheep come back in several hours later. Clean smell, very weak chlorine!
No matter how crap you feel, always remember you're one of the lucky ones with your own piece of land and loony sheep!

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2021, 12:23:58 am »
I'm sure many solutions will work, but you should try "bio" washing-machine liquid [member=160777]DenisCooper[/member] .   Not sure what dilution to recommend, but don't apply it without some degree of dilution in water!!  :D
« Last Edit: July 25, 2021, 12:28:05 am by arobwk »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS