Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A bit of luck leads to some new toys!  (Read 4343 times)

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
A bit of luck leads to some new toys!
« on: December 01, 2013, 04:00:43 pm »
I've had a very long and arduous weekend.Infact, I've only just got back from moving my youngest son and his new wife to Evesham in this.

I set off just after 5.00 am yesterday to deliver their furniture to a flat that they're  going to be renting on an old farm that was mentioned in the Doomsday Book. Fortunately the flat is a nice modern one, now here's where my piece of luck comes into play.
After unloading the furniture from the van, we realized that there  was already a fridge freezer in the flat and that it wasn't quite as good as the one we'd brought down with us. We asked the owners if there was anywhere that we could store theirs and they directed us to the most fantastic old stone dovecote. They opened it up and then apologized for what they described as a load of old scrap that was stored in the corner, that they hadn't got around to getting rid of. Well!   :o My eyes nearly dropped out of my head but I had the prescence of mind to point out that as I'd be returning home with an empty van,  I'd only be too pleased to take it off their hands. :rolleyes:  Here's what I've come home with.
A Henry Bamford Corn Mill.

A Lister engine to run it with.

A very old cider press.  :farmer:

and a chaff cutter for good measure.

Now whose up for getting things running?  :excited:
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 04:16:26 pm by Bodger »

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: A bit of luck leads to some new toys!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 04:12:31 pm »

Wow! What fantastic finds!  :thumbsup:
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 04:49:41 pm »
I'm so jealous!! A chaff cutter and a cider press! What luck :thumbsup:

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 04:51:38 pm »
I thought you popped into Rustyme's   :innocent: what a find, one mans rubbish is another's treasure!

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 05:00:58 pm »
I am literally green with envy, I want a stationary engine SO much and a corn mill to go with it would just be perfect.

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 05:31:26 pm »
Well done there - fantastic piece of luck  :excited:
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2013, 06:02:57 pm »
Lol , that's how i got my bamford corn mill , more or less .
I was dropping off a load of logs , when i was still on the road , and saw it in a corner of the shed . Asked about it and got the corn mill , a root chopper , saw bench and the lister genny , for the logs , which were £40 . The corn mill had never been used ! , and the logs i got free .
Got all my stationary engines in similar ways and the saw benches too . I did get a chaff cutter once , but it was too far gone to save .
Getting toys is fun .
Years ago i was doing some work on an old mansion . My job was to clear out a stone shed and fit it out as a studio for the owners to do their painting in , ? , whatever . Anyway , the place was full of crap , and i was told to just bin the lot . It turned out the 'shed' was the old smithy for the estate , ha ha , result .
My poor old volvo estate went home with the suspension bottomed out for nigh on a week !
I told the owners what was there , they just said "bin the lot " , so i did , that 'bin' is now my forge .
Well done bodger , nice one , glad that some more kit has avoided the 'garden ornament' brigade .
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 06:06:03 pm by RUSTYME »

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2013, 06:05:29 pm »
If I can get the lister going, then a root chopper would also be a useful addition. :fc:  I know its a bit sad, but I've just joined a Lister engine forum. :farmer:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2013, 10:58:26 pm »
Wow. Well done.

Wendelspanswick

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2013, 07:02:56 am »
Looks a bit puny to be a cider press, you would be 'hard pressed' (excuse the pun) to get a dry pomace with that. Perhaps it's a cheese press?

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2013, 07:07:04 pm »
Very nice find, well done Bodger  :thumbsup:

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2013, 07:21:59 pm »
It's FAB when you stumble across gems like this,
Plus it is a major win win all round - they didn't want the scrap and you've done them a favour in clearing out the space :o)
 :excited: :excited:

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2013, 08:08:10 pm »
I need to find someone to tell me how to run and set up the Lister. :fc:

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2013, 08:17:01 pm »
Check out the mag ' stationary engine' . It has loads of info on rebuilding SE's , plus the back numbers will almost certainly have articles on the one you have . There are also specific books for the most common engines .

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2013, 09:54:29 pm »
Cheers Rusty. :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS