Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: slaughter of old sows  (Read 2189 times)

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
slaughter of old sows
« on: May 16, 2012, 09:12:33 am »
I'm having a grey moment  ;) and can't remember the test that sows have to have at slaughter, also at what age do they have to have it. Thanks
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

robert waddell

Re: slaughter of old sows
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 09:30:38 am »
is that the triganol test this is usually only done on  the first pig you send to a new slaughter house  but wild boar are tested at each slaughtering :farmer:

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 03:25:30 pm »
Here's some info BB  ;)
http://www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/pdfs/trichinellatestingwildboar.pdf
Impoertant to note that they say the samples should not be frozen - this is because freezing the meat destroys it  ;)
HTH
Karen  :wave:

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 04:15:31 pm »
Thanks for that.
 From what I can remember sows over a certain age have to be tested at the abattoit, no pig has ever tested possitive but they have to test. I can't remember if it is sows over a certain age or all sows.
I will have to phone the abattoir and find out.
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

princesspiggy

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 06:37:53 pm »
our delilah was blood tested for trichilnella by the abattoir when she was sent away at 18mths or so.

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 08:05:04 pm »
It's Trichinella spiralis - "muscle worms". They are round worms which cause cysts and, if pork isn't properly cooked, they can be passed on to humans. That's the reason for the test.  They start off in the intestine, then move into the muscles.
What it means in practical terms is that the abattoir may take longer to release your carcass, depending on how quickly the vet can do the inspection.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Billy Rhomboid

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 05:07:37 pm »
My big Tamworth sow that went off last year was held for inspection and testing for about 9 days.
TBH I was not too distressed - I needed a week to recover from loading her before tackling butchery. Quarter of a ton of pig is a serious workout.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS