Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Routine vet calls  (Read 3161 times)

JMB

• Joined Apr 2011
Routine vet calls
« on: February 26, 2013, 08:28:21 pm »
Hello. This is not a criticism of our vets, they are very good, but we don't use them much. Our farmer friends always advise to do as much as we can ourselves, or they help, so if we're fairly sure what's up I'll ring for antibiotics or whatever and get on with it. ( I would never do anything I wasn't sure of)
I feel bit awkward now though after ringing up for more alamycin last year and the vet suggesting that we should have a vet out more regularly do to a routine check on our animals.
Apparently they do routine checks when they go out (obviously more regularly) to farms. Although when they have been to us previously I didn't think they checked the other animals. Maybe it's just observation.
When I suggested paying for a routine check to our friends they laughed and said it was a money making exercise, but I think I've read on another post that some vets won't prescribe unless they've seen your animals in the last 6 months. I made have imagined this....
I just wondered if anyone else had regular checks?
Thank you
Xxxxx

« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 10:03:21 pm by JMB »

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
Re: Routine vet calls
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 08:53:54 pm »
Not routine checks as such, but it is worth sitting down every couple of years with the vet to draw up ( and subsequently revise) a flock health plan.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 09:42:53 pm »
If an animal is on continuing medication then yes in theory they have to see it every six months. My dog has heart tablets and while I can collect the pills every 2 months, each 6 months I have to take him in.
Im not convinced that for farm animals that arent on routine treatments, a 6 monthly routine visit is justified, altho if there is anything illness wise they are entitled to insist on seeing the animal rather than doling out any drugs if they are prescription.
I dont do anything without vet coming other than continuing a course of jabs they have started, altho I do vaccs like heptavac and also have alamycin spray for sheep feet. I probably could tho (remembers having to get dry cow tubes up a mastitic rather wild shetland cows very sore teats every day for 3 weeks and jabbing it several times a day and thinks that probably she could handle most sheep requirements after that :-oo)))
On a larger farm it makes sense but not really on a smallholding. (i) as we dont do the number of routine drugs larger places do as we dont have some of the same issues as we stock lower and more outdoors and lower birth rates and better mothers (ii) we dont have as much routine work like pregnancy testing and TB testing and all sorts of hi health schemes.
Our vet hasnt suggested it, maybe he thinks he gets enough money off us with the nags! He can see the sheep anyway when they do 6 monthly horse dental stuff so they can see they are in fine fettle.
I should add that I did draw up a flock health plan as my sheep keepers guidance from the animal health people said it was needed. tho its a bit short.

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 10:09:24 pm »
Vets reckon they cant prescribe meds without visiting your animals at least once a year.

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 10:28:38 pm »
My vet is very good on prescribing me stuff without seeing the sheep - I have no probs asking for and getting certain meds.  He has been out to see mine every so often though in emergencies so maybe that's why, he's never suggested routine checks either.  My dogs are regular visitors so he knows me well!
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 01:41:16 am »
We see our vet often enough in the course of normal business but the last two years we have also had some health planning, some lab work and some consultancy as part of a grant scheme.  The time spent with the vet going over the performance, management and medication of the cattle and sheep has been time well spent.  I often call the vet up and discuss things on the phone too; they don't charge for that.

I would have thought it was advisable to have the vet over for a look-see and chat if s/he's never been - doesn't have to be for hours, and you can ask for a quote before the visit so you can decide if you think it's worth it.  After that I'd have thought a chat over a cuppa every two or three years would be plenty unless you have specific problems.

We lined up three Blue-faced Leicester tups who wanted their feet trimming when the vet came for his introductory meeting at the moorland farm  :-J :innocent:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

JMB

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 07:13:34 am »
Thank you for yor replies.
Our vets have been here before but we've never had a flock health plan or anything so may be worth it paying for a routine visit.
Great idea to line up some jobs for them to do....um, injecting pigs.......
Joanne xxxxxx

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 09:35:16 am »
Hi there
As a vet myself, I can clear things up a bit.
For any prescription only drugs, the animals we are prescribing for must be "under our care".
This is a very vague description, but it is what stands legally.
For small animals with long term conditions, this is usually accepted to be seeing the animal every 3-6 months, and sometimes testing if required for the specific condition.
For large animals, the term is even more vague!
Mostly, large animal vets will expect to have been on the farm some time in the last 6 months to a year, to have an idea of the layout, what animals you have, how they're housed, fed, bedded, etc.
This just makes it easier for us to have an idea what diseases or conditions are more likely, and offer the best treatment.
In a lot of cases, animals can be treated without seeing them, but the best possible diagnosis, treatment and outcome will always come with seeing the animal in its own environment to be thorough.
This is not just a money making exercise, and in general terms, if we see what the farm is like, with an outsider's eyes (I'm not saying vets know better, just sometimes easier to look at the big picture when it's not your own place, as I know with my own smallholding!), we can often help with general preventative care, even general improvements on occasion.
Hope that helps
Suzanne

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 10:48:11 am »
Our vets always keep their eyes open when they visit and have made some useful suggestions, including how to rig up a calf crush from our existing kit and not have to invest in a new one.

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 11:14:46 am »
I try and get my vet who has an interest in goats, out once a year to spend an hour or so going round - usually £100, but money well spent as when my first ill goat was put down, the charge was just £12 - and he came out to do it.  Swings and roundabouts!

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 12:04:43 pm »
I email my vet with things so he can call me back or return email when he has the time and has managed to have a think about what I'm asking rather than putting him on the spot.

He came out couple of weeks back to discuss a health plan for my animals, he was on his way to another farm, took less than an hour which he's not charging me for.  The chat was great and I felt much more confident afterwards.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS