Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Changes to member group qualification  (Read 42447 times)

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
Re: Changes to member group qualification
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2011, 11:31:42 am »
How about a post code search with just the first 3 charater - pretty wide area. People can alway opt out if they want...

There will be postcode-based features on the new site. Starting with finding events near you, and over time we'll extend this to finding other stuff in your area (including other members).

It will be opt-in - you'll need to add your postcode to your profile and tick a box to say you want to be findable by other members.

robert waddell

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2011, 11:33:30 am »
has that to be full postcode or first part only

Dan

• Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2011, 11:38:15 am »
has that to be full postcode or first part only

We'll be starting with a method of postcode distance calculation that only uses the postcode district, ie the first part, so either full postcode or the first part will give the same results.

Your full postcode will never be revealed.

Dan

• Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2011, 11:39:27 am »
Good idea Dan, does not really matter what status you have anyway. Just enjoy yourself, it is not a competition. I would not dream of joining in on a post I know nothing about but it does not stop you reading them and learning.

That's the idea, it's not a competition and we are definitely not encouraging people to offer advise when they aren't qualified to do so, or post just for the sake of a badge!

Dan

• Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2011, 11:40:19 am »
But I've just noticed that with more posts than me Hermit is a Newbie and I'm a Junior ?

There's definitely something amiss with Hermit's group, I'll look into it.

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2011, 11:56:56 am »
A rabbit section would definitely be a good asset to this site (and a bunny icon please Dan?).

And I'm guessing the reason for folks with more posts being a newbie rather than a jnr is down to the fewer topic ranges they have posted in.

I agree we shouldn't know how many posts to put, or where, in order to 'up' our profile. It will result in nonsense posts (and lets hope it doesn't end up that way regardless).

Also, I think some threads should be 'closed' by Dan after they have had their run (or upon request by original poster of thread). Posts like the word association game have run far too long and scrolling down 'recent posts' is tedious when so many posts are replies to a game.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 11:58:33 am by OhLaLa »

Dan

• Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2011, 12:14:19 pm »
So does this count as a post in the announcement thread??

Yes.

We had a few options for this, given that the current way it was working wasn't ideal:

1. Remove the member groups completely.
2. Use the number of topics contributed to, rather than the number of posts.
3. Exclude some of the forums from the calculation, such as the Coffee Lounge.

We went for option 2. It clearly needs some tweaking, and I'd like to get the number visible on everyone's profile.

For the time-being we'll stick with it. The other thing we're looking at adding in the future is a 'thank you' option, like this:

Dan

• Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2011, 12:19:17 pm »
A rabbit section would definitely be a good asset to this site (and a bunny icon please Dan?).

Rabbits as livestock, or as pets? If it's the former, no problem!

Also, I think some threads should be 'closed' by Dan after they have had their run (or upon request by original poster of thread). Posts like the word association game have run far too long and scrolling down 'recent posts' is tedious when so many posts are replies to a game.

It should usually be by request of the original poster, it's a really tough call to close a thread like the word association game, since it looks like a lot of members are still finding something they want to contribute to.

When we upgrade to the next version of the forum platform it will have the option to ignore a topic - it won't then show in any of your recent posts or other views.

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2011, 12:22:07 pm »
Ha ha I am usually amiss, dont worry about it ::)

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2011, 12:42:24 pm »

Rabbits as livestock, or as pets? If it's the former, no problem!

- - -

Livestock.

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2011, 01:04:04 pm »
Just remembered   ::)  : Under Livestock, could you pop a Beekeeping section in as well as Rabbit section? It's an important topic and as a beekeeper I might be able to help others if they need to know anything.

Dan

• Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2011, 04:46:10 pm »
Just remembered   ::)  : Under Livestock, could you pop a Beekeeping section in as well as Rabbit section? It's an important topic and as a beekeeper I might be able to help others if they need to know anything.

Done now: Two new boards

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2011, 05:41:13 pm »
So does this count as a post in the announcement thread??

Yes.

We had a few options for this, given that the current way it was working wasn't ideal:

1. Remove the member groups completely.
2. Use the number of topics contributed to, rather than the number of posts.
3. Exclude some of the forums from the calculation, such as the Coffee Lounge.

We went for option 2. It clearly needs some tweaking, and I'd like to get the number visible on everyone's profile.

For the time-being we'll stick with it. The other thing we're looking at adding in the future is a 'thank you' option, like this:

That’s fine Dan, but PLEASE tell us how it works – you can’t incentivise people to look broader (as you hope to) if they don’t know the scheme – it would be a bit like Tesco saying “collect Clubcard points” but we’ll not tell you how many you get for buying anything.
So how many “posts” in how many “topics” do you need to move from Newbie to Jr. Member?
And I thought a topic was something like this one “changes to member group qualification” as it sits in a whatever called “annoucements” which tells us it has two topics.  On this basis I have contributed to probably hundreds of pig topics, but am still a newbie??  Perhaps you just need to explain how the whole thing works to those of us who don’t live and breathe forum speak, and really don’t know a thread from a topic from a post from a whatever.
Also any chance we could lose the “Newbie” – it was a patronising phrase at the best of times, but now most of your newbies have been here some time, so what are we newbie in?  Since you already have Jr. Member (which also always sounded to me like an under 18!), maybe “limited member” – if that doesn’t make us sound like we are mentally challenged ?
 :)
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2011, 05:53:54 pm »
The thing is, if folks know how many posts to put up, and where, they will do so poss without any benefit to that particular forum or the poster. It's not a game, it doesn't matter if some people don't know a 'thread' from a 'post', what matters is that someone needs a bit of help and someone else tries to help them. For the good of all our animals and way of life, lets keep this in mind.

Best wishes for 2011 to you all!

:-*

Dan

• Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2011, 05:55:39 pm »
That’s fine Dan, but PLEASE tell us how it works – you can’t incentivise people to look broader (as you hope to) if they don’t know the scheme – it would be a bit like Tesco saying “collect Clubcard points” but we’ll not tell you how many you get for buying anything.
So how many “posts” in how many “topics” do you need to move from Newbie to Jr. Member?

Newbie: <10
Jr. Member: <50
Full Member: <100
Sr. Member: <250
Hero Member: <500
Super Hero: > 499

But (and it's a big but) it's not working at the moment. There's something awry with the code that I'm looking into.

And I thought a topic was something like this one “changes to member group qualification” as it sits in a whatever called “annoucements” which tells us it has two topics.

Sorry! This topic is 'Changed to member group qualification'. It sits in the 'Announcements' board. If you post in this topic it will count as one on your topic count.

Also any chance we could lose the “Newbie” – it was a patronising phrase at the best of times, but now most of your newbies have been here some time, so what are we newbie in?  Since you already have Jr. Member (which also always sounded to me like an under 18!), maybe “limited member” – if that doesn’t make us sound like we are mentally challenged ?

They are the default labels that came pre-configured and we've never changed them, but you're right they could be better!

We'll have a think about it and try to come up with something a bit more appropriate and imaginative. Suggestions welcome...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS