Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Good evening from the High Peak of Derbyshire  (Read 2165 times)

Papa Simpson

• Joined Sep 2015
Good evening from the High Peak of Derbyshire
« on: September 20, 2015, 06:17:57 pm »
Hello from the first wash of autumnal colour high in the Goyt Valley of Derbyshire.

I enjoyed listening to the BBC Radio4 “On Your Farm” programme this morning with Sarah Swadling speaking to Barny Butterfield about his Cider Apple empire in Devon, it was discussed that he began his F/T career in Farming through renting a Devon County Council Farm.

My wife and I have been seeking a number of ways into accessing a rental/tenant farm property with land such as this in North Derbyshire/High Peak. Alas, to no avail. Property and land prices are cripplingly high due to our proximity to the Peak District National Park boarder, therefore a small time couple with limited experience and limited capital has been met with silence.

To hear the conversation between Barny and Sarah, it filled me with a glimmer of hope. Having accessed the Devon Council’s attitude to encourage people of no or limited farming experience into the sector by supplying them with land and affordable property etc, is an attractive option for us and something that the current councils and government should nationally support.

My family have been farming the high hills of the Hope Valley to the lush table flat fields of Lincolnshire for over 6 generations, so I have a support network in place however no access to any surplus land or property. I chose to study and enter into a world of photography and other media sectors for over 20 years. After returning to the UK 9 years ago and eventually moving back to my roots in Derbyshire with two small children and a wife who is an academic first and a natural grower of anything plant based second, we decided to venture into seeking out more cost effective ways we could enter into the Farming sector.

I have contacted the High Peak and Derbyshire County Councils repeatedly over the past two years to find out if there are such properties in the county, similar to one’s I have found in the SW of England and Wales, with both children settled in primary school in the Goyt Valley area of Derbyshire, it makes sense for us to find something in this area.

Our ultimate goal would be a mix of livestock and arable, mainly fruit varieties that successfully yield in this region of the north and at this altitude. With already a small blue cheese interest forming due to living next door to a Dairy Farm, a cider production idea brewing, a desire to have my own Goats, a few pigs, chickens and Alpacas, its the organic meat market I am interested in. Add to a series of courses under my belt including livestock husbandry, farm administration, tree coppicing, fruit tree management, safety&machinery and general farming issues, we wish to make a mark on production of key fruit and a variety of other heritage foods.

I ask this as the skilful team at TAS Ltd and the good people on this forum that may have met or know of someone I can speak with directly to gain ground and access potential properties with land in our region.

I thank you in advance.

Kind regards,

Ian F Simpson

Katittley

• Joined Sep 2015
Re: Good evening from the High Peak of Derbyshire
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 03:41:10 pm »
Hi from Derbyshire too. We wanted a small holding in Derbyshire and didn't think we could afford it and started looking in Wales and Lincolnshire where prices seemed more reasonable. Every time we viewed somewhere we were able to refine our list of things we did and did not want. After about 3 years of looking we found our ideal property right here and we are now "living the dream ".

Just to say it may take a while but there are fabulous places out there. I'll keep my ear to the ground for you.  Happy hunting!

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: Good evening from the High Peak of Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 06:29:10 am »
Hello, welcome and good luck in your search from Devon.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS