Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hatching Eggs Wrong Breed  (Read 3707 times)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Hatching Eggs Wrong Breed
« on: July 10, 2015, 06:10:05 pm »
So, I sent for a dozen Silver Laced Wyandotte hatching eggs from a highly reputable breeder.  They arrived in good order and only one proved infertile.  The 11 hatched are strong chicks and growing away well BUTnow they're feathering up only one may be the breed I expected and the others look like another breed entirely.  I've contacted the breeder and he'll be phoning me to discuss but not sure of the best way forward.  I know I can raise these chicks and sell them for a good price at POL, but I really wanted to buy in a cockerel and start a new SLW breeding group.  On the other hand, if he should suggest sending the correct eggs, I don't want to hatch any more this season as I like chicks to be well grown before Winter settles in on our hilltop.  Hmm, what to do ....?

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
Re: Hatching Eggs Wrong Breed
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 06:21:42 pm »
Go to one of the poultry sales, maybe Ross on Wye or the like and buy there if you dont want to hatch more this year. Personally I would just hatch another batch :)

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 06:24:36 pm »
as you didn't get what the breeder said you were getting what about asking him to give you a young SLW cockerel and a couple of pullets? You are 11 chicks down on the deal after all
Is it time to retire yet?

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2015, 07:47:24 am »
Like Kimbo, ask to swap some/ all of yours for slw chicks/ growers that breeder has.

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2015, 02:07:54 pm »
Seller might be a long way away in terms of live birds. I would give him / her the benefit of the doubt though, it does happen to the best of us. It's a shame but all you can ask is that they sort you out next year with some freebies. I bought some eggs from a member here and had an excellent hatch rate and perfect birds, except one huge brown hen who looks like a hybrid. I have no idea what she is but she's lovely so I'm not fussed.

At the end of the day, buying in eggs to start your own flock of a breed is hard work. I've also started Silver Laced Dottes this year and spend £60 on eggs to get 3 very nice pullets and 3 very nice cockerels. But, assuming they survive until breeding age, I've got a start in the breed and can rapidly accelerate from there.

God knows how much I've spent on Copper Marans eggs to finally have a small flock of good standard birds and it's taken me near on 3 years to get there.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2015, 05:05:57 pm »
you could just buy em in as day olds :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2015, 05:36:46 pm »
How did you get on?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2015, 05:46:16 pm »
Well .... he hasn't phoned me yet.  Thank you for your suggestions. After we i8nadvertently bought in a cockerel with avian leukosis some years ago, and it spread through the flock despite him being quarantined and us following strict procedures, we resolved only to buy in hatching eggs from then on.  Freebies next year seems the best option so far.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2015, 08:33:30 pm »
I know of a few breeders in Wales I could send you their contact details. :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2015, 11:33:16 am »
Yes, I'd be grateful for the information.  Welsh stock would probably be quite hardy!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS