Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goat due date...  (Read 5291 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Goat due date...
« on: November 24, 2011, 03:06:59 pm »
Me again  ::)

New goat is coming soon and she will be pregnant. Have been told her due date is around the 18th March. This will be the first time we've kidded.

Mine and hubbies 10th wedding anniversary is 2nd March and I had booked us a night's stay in a gypsy vardo/waggon in the black mountains.  Is she likely to need me 16 days before the due date? would I be wise to re-arrange our wedding anniversary 'holiday' for earlier perhaps?
didn't think of this at the time did I doh !!  ;D
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Goat due date...
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 03:16:59 pm »
I wouldn't have expected her to need you 16 days beforehand.
Mine are 149 days on the dot and usually I go in to find it's all over!
J

Hopewell

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 03:37:48 pm »
Mine are 149 days on the dot
Mine haven't all read their text books, so some variation but only by a few days at most, so go and enjoy your night's stay.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 04:19:08 pm »
Fabulous  ;D  thanks both! Have spent nearly 8 years trying to persuade him indoors that he wants to sleep in a rickety, cold but very gorgeous caravan and was dreading it having to be cancelled!! its only in the next county so really , I could drive back if she starts doing anything my goat sitter isn't happy about  :)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 09:11:44 pm »
If she kids more than 2 weeks before her due date it would be unlikely that the kids would be viable....

Mine have so far kidded on their due date or the next day. Also goats seem to kid mostly during the day... which is helpful.. (but do it exactly when you rush out to go for that loo break after crossing your legs for hours so not to miss it...)

I have got one due on March 18th!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 11:18:45 pm »
According to my books it can be a week to ten days either side but mine have been on time or a couploe of days late.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 02:44:21 pm »
Most of mine have have kidded on the 150th day from service - occasionally we are caught out by a couple of days early though.  And the pygmy goats never act as if they are going to kid, but have done by the next morning ;D

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 04:32:30 pm »
Tight guys... here's my bit !!!!

After 35 years of kiddings..... 7 days early the kid/s will be viable but because the lungs are week they must be kept for around 24-36 hours in a warmish environment.  Temps below 60F usually results in pneumonia.

Most goats kid correctly on time and no fuss,  but I am always present to make sure there are no hiccups.

In my personal experience only, if a goat goes into labour late in the afternoon  then there will be trouble.  No doubt there are many people who will say otherwise !!!!!

Now the otherside of 150days  .... if 7 days overdue and you are ABSOLUTELY certain of the dates... get the Vet to check the goat, particuloarly if she is carrying a single or twins.... they will be getting too big for natural birth..... my Vet & I have carried out a Caesarean late at night on a goatling who had been naughty so it can be done OK.  It was a standing CS and within 10 mins she was eating for england. !!!!!!

Seriously with goats make sure you know the exact dates.... it could be the difference between life and death of mother and babies. 

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011, 05:06:20 pm »
She would only kid 16 days early if a) the dates were wrong and she was mated 21 days earlier! b) she was ill in some way and this brought on the labour early. Kids born 16 days early would be almost certain to not make it. We did raise 1 kid (out of 4 born) who was born 2 weeks early, but equally well, we have lost ones (after a week of intensive nursing in the house) at 7 days old when they born 10 days early.

Beth

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2011, 10:43:32 am »
Wytsend,  last year, two of my pygmy x females kidded in the afternoon (like I said above, they quite often show no visible signs they are about to kid)  These were on separate occasions.  Lunchtime they ate their hay and were fine.  Evening feed, one had twins - one dead.   Following week, same happened, and a single ...dead.

So I do not like afternoon kiddings, although if things go wrong, it is easier to see/sort in the daylight of course. than 2am :)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2011, 12:16:17 pm »
Hi
just wondering if it was a registered billy,
Is there a service certificate? if so should be able to work from that date
looking at the dates, she must have been mated 20-Oct, so she's past the 3 wk but watch her about 30 Nov for any signs of season.
Last year 1 of mine was 2 days early, the other 2 days late, both mated the same day.

one kidded about 4pm while I was at Harrogate Spring flower show, (phone message from OH- 'there are 2 little white things in the shed' (he doesn't 'do' goats)I couldn't get home fast enough, a friend had popped down to see if they were OK. The other kidded in the field about 5pm, all fine.

I think you should go and enjoy your break and don't worry  :)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2011, 02:26:52 pm »
Registered billy and the lady who mated her for me with the billy at hers also bred my new goat and she will be delivering her to me in a couple of weeks  :)  She's one of the big Togg breeders in the midlands so I'm lucky that she'll be able to give me exact dates (as exact as she can anyway).  Its been quite a nice way of going into breeding for me as I've not had to find a billy, transport a doe to him etc etc so I've been very lucky!! 
as she's not coming till December now she'll have 'missed' 2 seasons I guess? so that will hopefully be fairly good indicator for us that she's preggy.
I think my OH would panic if he saw her go into labour or found kids! He also doesn't do goats! bless him, he builds sheds for them, collects hay, helps me carry carcases into the barrow for the collection  :( twice but not that keen on them  ;D
thanks for your reply - I think we'll be OK for just the one night, really looking forward to it!! We do have some gypsy friends locally so if I get to scared about going too far away maybe I could ask if we could stay in one of their spare wagons lol 

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2011, 09:08:19 pm »
She's one of the big Togg breeders in the midlands
as she's not coming till December now she'll have 'missed' 2 seasons I guess? so that will hopefully be fairly good indicator for us that she's preggy.
I think my OH would panic if he saw her go into labour or found kids! He also doesn't do goats! bless him, he builds sheds for them, collects hay, helps me carry carcases into the barrow for the collection  :( twice but not that keen on them  ;D

- mine are Toggs as well, would you mind telling me who the breeder is? (please PM if you aren't sure about giving their name out) There seems to be quite a bit of 'line' breeding with my girls, I'm a bit worried how many times one male crops up in the pedigree, same line in the boy they've just been to, though the eldest's full sister kidded to him last year and kid has done well in the show ring. There doesn't seem to be many male Toggs available.
I think usually after the six weeks I can start getting excited, still a long time to wait though   :)
OH's are very useful at times aren't they, mine is also useful for building and labouring etc, when he's doesn't manage to escape  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS