Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Drop spindle - any experts?  (Read 10331 times)

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
Drop spindle - any experts?
« on: June 06, 2013, 02:34:19 pm »
With my newly acquired fleece, and dye and carding combs in the post via internet - just wondering if there are any experts here with a drop spindle?  have to have a go.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: Drop spindle - any experts?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 03:15:11 pm »
I'm an expert at putting the drop into drop spindling.  :roflanim:

Give me a wheel any day.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 07:11:35 pm »
Yep, give me a wheel any day too.

I can spin on a spindle, but learned on a wheel first and to be honest, I think I'd have given up if I'd learned on a spindle first.

You can get a secondhand wheel (Ashford traditional is a good, solid bet) for about £100, it's easier to learn (easier mind, not easy) and then once you get going it's way faster too.

The spindle is quite good for spinning at sheep auctions and similar, but I find I never use one at home, in preference to my wheels.

Ashford spinning wheels currently on eBay. Take your pick!

Whereabouts are you, is there one of us spinners nearby who could help? 
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 07:15:43 pm by jaykay »

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 08:12:30 pm »
I spun for the first time yesterday on a drop spindle and again today. I found a few really good vids on youtube. I just sat with my stuff in front  of the laptop and I've got the hang of it really quickly!

Theres 3 parts to it but it teaches you in the second!

Making Your Own Yarn - Learn to Spin with a Drop Spindle: Part 2 - Tutorial - Expertly Dyed

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 09:19:12 pm »
I'm absolutely no expert - but I do love it and prefer to my wheel.  Only thing is that I cant get the hang of plying with it.  The best thing is that it is SOOOO portable.  There are some great vids on http://handspinner.co.uk/   that's how I learnt.  If you want to spin a jumper - maybe a wheel - but if you just want to spin for smaller projects (I use them in the woods with children a lot and then we use the wool for crafts) - no better way - it really helps you understand what is happening.  Recommend 'Spin it' book (also on above website - wont find it on amazon).  Enjoy!

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 09:25:57 pm »
D'you know - I cant seem to find a copy of spin it for sale anywhere - maybe out of print.  Happy to lend you mine if you PM address.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 09:27:09 pm »
I'm definitely not a spindling expert but I have a large collection of the things as I love them  ;D
You need to match the weight of your spindle to the fibre you are spinning. I find some are easier to use than others, for example I prefer top whorl to bottom or centre whorl, except for Turkish spindles, where the whorl is at the bottom but they are wonderful to spin.   The Turkish spindle spins straight to a ball which then slips off the shaft for plying or using as singles - magic  ;D

I did learn to spin on a wheel and have three of those.  Initially I believed that I would never be able to spindle, but after some brief tuition from  Pete from Spindlers2 I 'got it'.

I do spin at shows and so forth, both on a wheel and with a spindle, but I also spin elsewhere with the spindle, often for sampling fleeces, or if I am walking or travelling.   I find it's best to prepare your fibre into roving, then wrap it loosely around your wrist before spinning.

Don't be put off by the others' comments  :innocent:  you can do it, and a spindle costs about a tenth of the price of a cheap wheel.  It's also even more like magic than a wheel  :yippee: :yippee: :yippee:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

renee

• Joined Jan 2013
  • jämtland
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 09:33:04 pm »
I agree with fleece wife. I have tried to spin on several spindles but the only one that works for me is the Turkish one which is so aero- dynamic that is just spins and spins, also the advantage of having the ball of yarn ready wound. Hmm, my English sounds clumsy but I think the meaning is there.

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 09:48:05 pm »
Thanks for the replies - i am very excited at this!  Hillview - that must be the only youtube tutorial I haven't watched today and is excellent!  Off to the craft shop tomorrow...(and I might sneak a peek at those ebay sales too)

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2013, 10:17:22 pm »
Can you get to Woolfest? I bought my most loved spindle there. Spinning with it is in a different league from the others I'd used.

It's from The Wood Emporium, who also sell online.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2013, 11:39:55 pm »
And Spindlers2 will be at Woolfest too; I bought my lovely Damson there, after being recommended to them by Fleecewife.

I wish I could come up with more reasons to spindle; I absolutely love it, and I love that spindle.

Here's the full story of my buying Damson - actually, Woolfest is a lot like Diagon Alley, now I come to think on it  ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2013, 08:39:51 am »
 ;D  Had to Google Diagon Alley, but now am having to go to Woolfest!  Blimmin miles away too!  Still - nice holiday (although not sure my other half will appreciate it)

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2013, 09:59:44 am »
There are buses into Cockermouth, where there are very good real ale pubs, if the animals etc at Woolfest don't capture the interest of non-fibery other halves.

There's a group on Ravelry about Woolfest, for more info.

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2013, 10:09:55 am »
Just done the AA directions to Woolfest - 6 hours exactly driving.  Eek!  Hmmm...better find one of those nice pubs to stay in I think...

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2013, 10:14:18 am »
Or there's a Travellodge just across the road from Mitchell's auction mart, which is where Woolfest is held.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS