Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pedigree ear notching v tattooing query  (Read 6943 times)

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Pedigree ear notching v tattooing query
« on: January 08, 2014, 07:35:14 pm »
We have OSB piglets due and want to register any that are good enough. I think notching is barbaric personally but can't afford to tattoo.

Can anyone give me an idiots lesson on where the notches will be if these are numbered 1-10? I have looked at BPA guideline and can't make head nor tail of it.

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
  • Hampshire, near Portsmouth
Re: Pedigree ear notching v tattooing query
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 07:57:06 pm »
Notching is not nearly as bad as you imagine, and the piglets barely notice.   Dreaded doing it the first time, but they got straight back to eating as if nothing had happened, and virtually no bleeding.    I'm not familiar with the OSB system as I had saddlebacks who get a different series of notches specific to that breed.

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 11:17:39 pm »
The photo below shows you the notching system and here's a link to the document explaining it http://www.britishpigs.org.uk/Pedigree%20ID%202011.PDF

If you wanted to notch no. 1 you'd put one notch in the '1' on the units part of the ear, no. 2 would require two notches in the same location, no. 3 would be one notch in the '3' position and no. 4 would need a notch in both the '1' position and the '3' position. Hope that makes sense? (In my defence it is late  ;))

Notching is one of those things I think everybody dreads. I know I did, I had visions of screaming piglets and gallons of blood  :o It's not like that at all.....honest! They barely notice it and make more noise being picked up and it's a REALLY small piece of tissue you're removing - it doesn't bleed profusely.

The best tips I can give you are....
Do it when they are young (and easily held) around 2 weeks of age is so much easier than trying to keep hold of them when they're 6 or 8 weeks old  ;)
Notch and apply their ear tags at the same time - it can be difficult to go back and try to match notches with numbers at a later date - especially if they've been in any scrapes and had an ear injury (ask me how I know  ;))
Make sure your notchers are SUPER sharp - they cut far more cleanly and easily that way. You can sharpen them by 'notching' a piece of sandpaper.
Take them well out of earshot of the sow - it helps you feel more relaxed without worrying about an angry mama coming charging at you to see what you're doing to her babies  ;)
After they're notched give the ear a spray of purple/antibiotic spray, protecting yourself and the area around you from staining (again, ask me how I know  ;)) a black bin bag cut along it's length makes a good disposable  'bib' to cover your clothes.

Hope that helps a bit?
Good luck,
Karen  :wave:

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 08:29:02 am »
Thanks, I think that makes sense. It's just when the numbers get bigger and making sure we get the right ears. We would like to show and have a couple of people interested but been told if you get it wrong they are strict about not letting you compete.

Just hope they can survive the weather. Mum is huge, god knows what she will be like by her due date.

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 08:38:54 am »
I don't fancy ear notching, which is one but not a main reason why I chose to go with the GOS breed. Having said that, I've still got a virgin tattoo kit unopened in its box. :eyelashes:

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 10:45:52 pm »
If you don't want to notch, you can choose to double-tag. You have to declare this when birth notifying with the BPA.

The big drawback is that you won't be able to show without them being notched, but if that's not important to you, that's fine. However, be aware that some people buying registered pigs from you may want to show - so you will have to make it clear that they haven't been notched.

Have a look at the OSB website for more advice - and a guide to notching. It's all very clear and well-explained.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Barnsnap

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 07:31:06 am »
From March 2013  - OSBs were given the option to tattoo or notch.  You have either option when you birth notify the litter with the BPA. 
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 08:36:44 am by Barnsnap »

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 09:54:06 am »
That's well worth noting. :pig:

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2014, 12:22:15 am »
Sorry, Barnsnap - the information I had was from the OSB breeders website:

http://www.oxfordsandypigs.co.uk/breed-identification/

It doesn't mention anything about tattooing being an option. Maybe someone should get it updated.

www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

SMarshall

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2014, 10:00:56 am »
We normally double tag as my OH doesn't want to notch, however we have a potential weaner buyer who might want to show a gilt but doesn't know yet... and I don't know what to do. 

If I can convince OH to consider notching the gilt in question (and that's not going to be easy) can we tag the others in the litter or do they all have to be done the same way?

Any thoughts?

Ta
Steph

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2014, 10:28:36 am »
I don't understand this notching is barbaric rubbish. So it is ok to ram a hole through a pigs ear with a piece of plastic but not to snip a notch with sharp metal cutters.
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2014, 07:09:00 pm »
You have a point, except that it's not just one notch. Depending on number it can be several. Tattooing no better really other than its one squeal rather than lots!!

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2014, 08:16:38 pm »
I'm with BB on this. I don't have a problem with notching or tagging. And it's part of owning pedigree pigs but if you don't like it don't do it.

HappyHippy

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2014, 09:56:02 pm »
I'm the biggest wuss in the world  ::) and was dreading notching - but really, it's not a big deal  :thumbsup:
We normally do them around 7-10 days old (when they're still small enough to be held easily  ;)) they squeal more being picked up than they do during the actual notching. A quick spray of antibiotic spray afterwards causes more fuss than anything.
As for some numbers having loads of notches - just miss them out and move on to the next number  ;) As long as the number of the pig matches that on the tag and the paperwork it's no big deal.
HTH

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2014, 10:33:49 pm »
Scotsgirl I can't say I remember a piglet squeeling  when I've notched, when you pick them up yes but the notching is done in seconds.
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS