Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Puny spring cabbages - clear or give em a chance?  (Read 4026 times)

Olly398

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Herts
    • Brixton's Bounty
Puny spring cabbages - clear or give em a chance?
« on: March 08, 2010, 04:53:13 pm »

Hello all,

I have a tiny veg plot (about 10ft square) in south London. I had some good stuff out of it last year. However, I sowed a few spring cabbages a bit late in the summer/autumn season. A few things had a pop at them, and the winter didn't do them any favours. They are only about 8" across and have not formed proper heads. The rest of the bed is being dug over preparation to receive some seedlings that I'll be starting in the cold frame (parsnips, carrots, beetroot and so on). I was hoping to get a catch crop of spinach in too.

So I was wondering - will these little beggars grow more as it warms up? So is it worth keeping them or should I just cut my losses, eat them up (1 meal!!!) and prepare the bed for better things?

When can I sow spinach outside directly? Since we're still having frosts, the soil feels too cold to me.

Many thanks,

Olly

also blogging at...

Brixton's Bounty

Jackie

• Joined Nov 2009
Re: Puny spring cabbages - clear or give em a chance?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 12:23:11 pm »
Get rid of them and use the ground for summer crops. It will soon be time to plant the summer cabbages.

If you are going to plant cabbages (brassica) again they need lime.

Plant or sow spinach after May 15th as that usually the last hard frost.

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 01:16:44 pm »
Ground temperature is an all important factor for sowing seeds but a rule of thumb (what ever that is) is cabbages carrots parsnip and the like 6C and above.The idea being set them in a moist plot and the nice warming will tell them lets go and they do if you plant to cold they just stay there and rot and don't do well and early grub gets a good start as well ??? ;D :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 04:07:39 pm »
If I had a tiny veg plot I certainly would not waste it on cheap to buy veg. You could plant more expensive cut an come again veg like purple broccolli and chard that give you bang for your bucks. I would get rid and prepare the ground ready for your next sowings. Good luck Hermit

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 04:17:01 pm »
I'm with you Karen as you know I only do box gardening and I dont waste them on brussels and cabbage and the likes theres fields full round here and peas and onions.I would have a look with me magnifying glass to see there are no little nasties in the root and stem ??? :D :D :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Olly398

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Herts
    • Brixton's Bounty
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 10:40:53 pm »
Cheers all. Yes I do try and grow the more interesting stuff  :chili: :corn: :peas: (see below). This was an experiment that we'll chalk off to experience! All part of the learning curve  :)

Thanks for all the advice, they'll soon be coming out and making space for nicer things  :yum:

Olly

also blogging at...

Brixton's Bounty

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 07:59:46 am »
They look edible olly dont waste them with out trying them Might be a bit strong.Good compost though >:(

Olly398

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Herts
    • Brixton's Bounty
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 09:15:49 am »
^^don't worry Wizard nothing gets chucked around here! All goes in the pot  :yum:
also blogging at...

Brixton's Bounty

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 11:21:31 am »
Good on ya olly someone after me own heart and its good for ya I'm 73 yr old still eat oat but fish I HATE FISH ??? ;D ;D ;D

Pomona

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 12:45:20 pm »
Cheers for this thread:  I've been musing over my cabbages and spring greens which have come to pretty much nowt, and wondering whether to hang on or not.  I'll have a clear out at the weekend then and start afresh.  The hens'll enjoy picking through and eating the hoiked out cabbages  :D

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2010, 03:43:30 pm »
Oh aye Pomona they love them they will peck away for ages and save some for tomorrow :D :farmer:

Pomona

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 12:09:25 pm »
I think they enjoyed the wee drop they had far too much: yesterday they managed to escape their run and had a right wee run around digging in the veg boxes: I had to replant all the red onions I'd put out at the weekend... ::)  And of course, they were too busy having a good time to lay...  ;D

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 12:36:30 pm »
Oh yes they are not selective in respect of shes just planted those lets dig em up eh! Thenthey do ??? ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS