Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Blue hens  (Read 5133 times)

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
Blue hens
« on: January 09, 2015, 05:42:59 pm »
Can somebody confirm for me please? I have a lovely blue araucana cockerel who is very much true to type and I want to breed from him. If I buy in some decent blue hens, is it correct that I will get a mix of blue, black and splash chicks?

Is it also true that to guarantee blue chicks I would need a combination of black and splash in the parents?

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
Re: Blue hens
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 05:51:41 pm »
It works that way in Orpingtons so I'd presume its the same

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 07:55:37 pm »
I don't know but when we bred our lavender araucana cockerel to white sussex hens, we consistently got black chicks with white speckles - and khaki coloured eggs. probably doesn't help but anyway.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 08:02:07 pm »
The blue gene is heterozygous so for it to show as blue in the markings you must have only one copy of the blue gene. If you mate blue to blue each parent will have 1 blue and 1 black so statistically you are likely to end up with 50% blue (1 copy of blue 1 of black) 25% black (2 copies of black) and 25% splash ( 2 copies of blue)

So mating a splash with a black will give you 100% blue BUT in the black and splash colourations you can't see other aspects of the markings so could breed in undesirable traits (such as happens with the lacing in Blue Andalusians)
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 07:04:20 am »
Lavender araucana + lavender Araucana = lavender Araucana here.
I know it's different with some other breeds with blue colours, like french copper blue marrans, etc.

Or maybe I've just been lucky? - not had many chicks out of them.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2015, 09:25:20 am »
 Me too.
I've never had any other colour but blue from mine.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2015, 11:02:24 am »
are lavender and blue the same colours?
I mentioned lavender as that's the only colour we had.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2015, 11:52:12 am »
Blue Laced Wyandotte + Blue Laced Wyandotte=50% blue laced, 25% buff laced and 25% gold laced ... just to confuse things further!

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2015, 12:04:25 pm »
I can confirm that what Marches Farmer says is certainly the case for Wyandottes, having been a registered breeder of Blue Laced for several years. To make matters worse the buff laced show a lot of feather discolouration and of course half the hatch are cockerels! The net result is only a quarter of the hatch are the pullets you wanted to breed.

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2015, 07:54:00 pm »
As far as I understand, lavender is not the same as blue and lavender + lavender should produce 100% lavender. It's the blue which get's complicated.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2015, 10:51:42 pm »
Are there blue Araucanas?

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2015, 06:43:01 pm »
Yes - they're technically called lavender. ::)
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2015, 11:53:36 pm »
I googled Araucanas yesterday because I'd only heard of lavenders but apparently there are blue recognised as well so they are two different colours. Based on Orps, lavenders breed true but blue/splash/black follows the pattern outlined by Clydesdaleclopper above.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2015, 08:23:05 am »
I have gold laced and silver pencilled Wyandottes and have been given a stunning pheasant Wyandotte cockerel, what colours should I expect from this union?

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2015, 08:55:59 am »
This is interesting, thanks for enlightening me  :)
I realise now that when I'd read the breed standard I'd skipped down and read off the blue specification and assumed it was part of the lavender description - where they describe shades of new/wet slate. Silly me!
Anyone have any pictures? Is it easy to tell the lavender and blues apart if they were next to each other in a cage or does it come down to knowing the breeding of the birds?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS