Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Brooder ideas please  (Read 6523 times)

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Brooder ideas please
« on: March 23, 2014, 05:41:30 pm »
I've got 5 duck eggs that are due to hatch Tues/Wed this week. I candled them last night and am sure they are pipping internally so put humidity up and will leave them to it. Thinking about the brooder, I'm going to use a big plastic storage box, but can anyone give any ideas on how to get the lamp above it? I don't have anywhere in the house I can hang a lamp up. Do people use a proper heat lamp or just a infrared bulb? Thanks :)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: Brooder ideas please
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 08:08:42 pm »
we have a heat lamp with a chain for hanging ... we attach it to a sturdy music stand!
One of the benefits of being married to a musician! ;)

You just need something higher than the box - a clothes airer? hat stand? (!)
Little Blue

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 08:09:02 pm »
we have used a broomstick with a light tied to it, balanced on something or other, if we weren't using our homemade pens - )which have hooks in the roof to hang the lamps).
 just test the heat first incase it is too hot.
if you have a dog crate, then put the plastic box inside that and put a broomstick between the bars to hang the lamp off. iv always used a proper lamp with a metal safety cage thingy as im always scared it will catch fire if it falls.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 08:15:27 pm »
The white ceramic bulbs are better - less risk of going on fire
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

NicandChic

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 08:49:14 pm »
We used a mic stand to hang ours from, depending what your using to feed them I made a little wooden stand to put the food/ water on to stop then pooping in it, good luck  :fc:

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 08:53:22 pm »
Personally I just use a Brinsea brooder - electric hen thing rather than bulb - which feels much safer. I was mostly going to say that a plastic storage box will not last long for ducklings. They grow at a phenomanal pace - far quicker than chicks (and I have six chicks in a storage box that are now looking cramped at a week old!). So make sure you have your next step lined up!

H

thestephens

• Joined Mar 2011
  • aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2014, 08:58:13 pm »
I bought a brinsea brooder heater too this time and for the first wee while we have them in an indoor rabbit cage in the utility room!

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2014, 09:02:03 pm »
Next step is a large (huge ) crate, step after that is a fox proof pen down in the sheds! Thanks, I did look at the electric brooder but it seems quite expensive, will try and fashion a stand for heat lamp first :)

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2014, 09:25:45 pm »
Usually hang my lamp from a step ladder, I have found with ducklings an inflatable paddling pool works really well :&> :&>
Anne

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2014, 01:43:58 pm »
We have a long hook screwed into the wall (similar to the one I hang my cheese muslins on to drip the whey away).   Currently 4 chicks in our brooder and like you, size of box will be increasing swiftly!

Other chick(s)  is under mum in the broody coop.   
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2014, 09:50:11 pm »
whey away

say it out loud - really made me chuckle! ;)
Little Blue

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2014, 07:41:38 am »
 ;D
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2014, 10:48:22 am »
I use the large size plastic Zoozones for newly hatched , being plastic up the sides keeps the mess in and the draughts out. then as it has a barred top you can connect a bulb fitting onto the top. I just use a normal bulb
Graham

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2014, 02:41:06 pm »
My brooder is a single bed frame with solid sides and wire panels on top. Ceramic heat lamp hung on chain from ceiling for warmth. I block off half the space till they're a few day old as I worry they might end up at the cool end and not make it back. Never happened mind. After a few days they seem to enjoy the space and zoom up and down. Used a large fish tank in the past, followed by a three foot sq box brooder. but now I like them having more space, I wouldn't like to go back to smaller model.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2014, 08:41:11 pm »
A trug with a towel in the bottom for grip, a sturdy twig or dowel if you have, threaded through the handle loops at the top of the trug and tie the (ceramic) heat bulb to it with garden wire (hook it round so you can adjust).  Worked very well for us for the first week.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS