Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Off feed after lambing?  (Read 3949 times)

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
Off feed after lambing?
« on: January 30, 2011, 10:43:38 pm »
Is this a coinsidence or is it normal? my first 3 ewes didnt eat much at all for a couple of days after lambing? I thought there was something wrong and gave them all 3 days of anti biotics  :-\ Probabily didnt need it? is this a normal thing? can anyone shed any light on the matter? 3rd day and all eating fine.....was it the anti biotics? or was it just that they go off there feed?
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Off feed after lambing?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 02:01:42 am »
Usually as soon as ewes have lambed, washed their lambs and suckled them they are ravenously hungry and thirsty.  We give them a bucket of clean water and a good handful of concentrates (coarse mix). Sometimes they also eat the placenta.  After that they usually eat normally.  The shyer ones though sometimes don't come up to the trough until they bring their lambs to join the flock after a couple of days.  Any which have had a hard lambing and might still be in pain from internal bruising may well not be eating normally at first.  Maybe someone else can suggest a possible cause but as it was all three I would think there wasn't a problem
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 12:59:44 pm »
I've had a couple like that.  Couldn't understand why they were not hungry after all that hard work.  What I found was that they picked at the nuts, then ignored the hay for a good 24 hours or so.  After that they began eating normally.  They could be a bit traumatised after lambing, or, as Fleecewife says, a bit sore and bruised.  After all, its not every day they give birth!

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 08:10:42 pm »
yup exactly that, picking and not even drinking but after a couple of days fine !!!
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS