Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sick hen, any ideas?  (Read 2992 times)

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
Sick hen, any ideas?
« on: September 04, 2014, 03:54:56 pm »
One of my youngsters is looking off colour. I got her as POL in May, so she is not old, over the lady few days she us looking a bit hunched up, not eating very much and spending time alone. Her poo is normal, comb and wattles look ok, I can't feel any swelling in her abdomen, crop not impacted, no signs if being egg bound, wormed 2 months ago. I have no idea what is wrong with her, any suggestions?

Fowlman

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wiltshire
Re: Sick hen, any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 04:47:26 pm »
Have you listened to her breathing ? Although getting later in the year no sign of red mite or any other parasites ?

Tucked away on the downs in wiltshire.

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 04:58:22 pm »
Breathing seems ok, no evidence of parasites. She tolerates me looking very well, so I have had a good poke around in her feathers, but I might dust her with some mite powder anyway, it won't do any harm.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 05:53:04 pm »
Have you checked the housing for red mite?  Access to any poisonous plants? 

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 05:56:39 pm »
I haven't seen any red mite, and I keep a close eye out. They don't free range and I keep the weeds etc down in their enclosure, so poisonous plants less likely, but thank you for all the suggestions.

Sweatyfarmer

• Joined Sep 2013
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 08:02:55 pm »
Does she smell at all ? I had one who did, suspected sour crop but not proven. I wormed (like you), fed some yoghurt and put some cider vinegar in the water for a week and it is as good as new now. cheers keith

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 10:21:27 pm »
Has she lost a lot of weight? I lost quite a few early last year to avian leucosis and their first symptom was standing around looking hunched and listless.

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 10:46:27 pm »
I did wonder about avian leukosis. She has lost a but if weight as she isn't eating much. How did you establish the diagnosis?

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2014, 10:53:05 pm »
Definitive diagnosis was only after a PM and samples sent off to the lab - expensive. That was after the third death. Fortunately some survived. In the end I had to have a closed flock for six months, then I had them all swabbed and they were all shedding in the 'normal' range so I was allowed to recruit again and, touch wood, all have been fine since.

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2014, 12:58:09 am »
Probably some form of myco? Most flocks have it (even though you can't say that).

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
Re: Sick hen, any ideas? Update
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2014, 01:32:18 pm »
I have moved her into our sick hen cage up near the house. She is eating sweetcorn, laced with yoghurt, which she seems to be enjoying, and has also laid a normal looking egg. If she was really ill I would have expected her to stop laying. I shall continue feeding her up with tasty treats and see how she does. Thanks for all the advice!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS