Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Elderflower Champagne recipe  (Read 21825 times)

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
Elderflower Champagne recipe
« on: May 27, 2013, 11:23:31 pm »
Hey,

Had a request for this. Dead simple and quick to make.

We use the recipe from this page http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipes/chefs/hugh-fearnley-whittingstall/elderflower-champagne-recipe with a couple of ammendments

We use dried elderflower so there's no wild yeast. Was hard to get an idea of how much elderflower to use, but through various forum posts I went with 16g which has a produced a beautiful drink 2 out of 3 times.

The batch that we made that didn't taste good I did with lemons that were far past their best.

We add the yeast in as soon as the elderflower mix is cool enough and we use the Allenson's yeast in the yellow tub from the supermarket.

Once it is bottle we stored in bathroom out of direct sun and was fine for a good few weeks. Storing overnight in the fridge or freezing for about 20 mins before use means that you don't get a volcanic eruption when you open it.

We did a couple in proper champagne bottles and they were great. If sediment bothers you for the last glass or so then you can remove some while you're making it. Cork your bottles using the plastic hollow corks and store upside down in the fridge for a few days. Then fill a jug with ice cubes and little bit of salt and stand the bottle still upside down in that for 10 mins. Turn it right way up, remove the cork (Which should now contain frozen sediment) and recork with either cork corks or clean plastic ones. We used the cages as well to avoid explosions.

Must say this is a new firm favourite in our house. We did two trial batches before a friend's wedding (one of which was with the bad lemons) and then a bigger batch for the wedding. Had people we didn't know seeking us out and complimenting us.

Dans

Edited to add that we left in the pot for 7 days rather than 4.
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Tregwyr

• Joined Jan 2013
Re: Elderflower Champagne recipe
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 09:29:40 pm »
Thanks Dans,
Tried it this evening!!! Fingers crossed  :fc:

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 03:29:00 pm »
We set ours off almost 2 days ago and so far it does not look any different to when we started it  :-\ should we add some yeast and if so How much  should we put in it ?
Graham

luckylady

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 06:49:34 pm »
Sokel, I had this happen also and Dans advised adding yeast if there wasn't already some popping (like a fizzy drink) when you listened closely.  I had ordered some champagne yeast off tinternet prior to starting, as I intended to use it for some perry when the pears are ready, so added it.  Next morning it was fizzing and progressing as it should.  Bottled it at day 8 (slightly later than planned) and it appears to have all gone to plan.  Just have to wait slightly longer before sampling but smells delicious.  Good luck with yours.  :fc:
Doing that swan thing - cool and calm on the surface but paddling like crazy beneath.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 10:11:22 am »
Thanks added some yeast and its started  :fc:
Graham

luckylady

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013, 07:50:50 pm »
Thanks added some yeast and its started  :fc:
:thumbsup:
Doing that swan thing - cool and calm on the surface but paddling like crazy beneath.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 11:14:41 pm »
First batch Bottled  :thumbsup: from the sly taste its very nice , Second lot started
Does anyone know if you can freeze elderflowers   :-\
Just wondered as if you can we could make it out of season  ::)
Graham

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 12:08:37 am »
Not sure about freezing but you can dry them.

Dans

www.sixoaks.co.uk

Wouldbesmallholder

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2013, 09:50:40 am »
I froze some and made a gallon of elderflower bubbly - worked fine!

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2013, 03:01:04 pm »
Thanks, will give it a go
What we have bottled is a bit lively  ::)
Graham

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2013, 06:36:43 pm »
Try freezer for 30mins prior to opening

Dans

www.sixoaks.co.uk

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2013, 11:45:36 am »
Do take care adding yeast (it really shouldn't need any) I leave mine in the bucket up to 5 days until I can see some bubbles on the surface (then I know fermentation has started and yeast are present).  First time ever I added a tiny pinch of yeast this year and had an explosion last night - glass everywhere.  Proper pop top pressure bottle from Lakeland.  Have vented all the other bottles and there is just too much fizz.  Will stick to nature next time!!

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2013, 12:02:41 pm »
We made it for the first time this year, using flowers from our black elder. The results are superb, a lovely pink colour, very fizzy and lovely flavour.  :thumbsup:

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2013, 08:49:09 pm »
Mine is still "cooking", but looks like it'll be a nice light rose colour - it's half white elderflower (from littlelugs' trees) & half black elder from our tree.  Supposed to be supplying a couple of bottles in exchange for the flowers, so  :fc:  it's gonna turn out ok.
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2013, 11:31:41 am »
One of our Bottles made a loud bang when we let the gas out last night, nearly dropped the bottle with fright and the cats & dogs scattered in all directions  ::)
Graham

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS