Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Double Deckers breach perm. planning?  (Read 3349 times)

beeliever

• Joined May 2022
Double Deckers breach perm. planning?
« on: May 23, 2022, 04:33:01 pm »
Hi all,
Do Double Decker Buses converted into motor homes automatically breach Permitted Planning laws even if just parked beside your own house?

I wanted to check what the Planning issues were if I parked a caravan or motor home (probably a converted Sprinter) on my property, and went to our local authority website at,

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/sites/default/files/2021-11/caravans-act-ni-2011-detailed-guidance.pdf

where it defines a caravan as,

"A caravan is any structure designed or adapted for people to live in which is capable of being
moved from one place to another (whether by being towed or by being transported on a motor
vehicle or trailer) and any motor vehicle so designed or adapted and the dimensions do not
exceed 20 metres long (exclusive of any drawbar), 6.8 metres wide and 3.05 metres high
internally (floor to ceiling)."

- which I think applies to my potential future motor home BUT a Double Decker Bus (which I'm sure we've seen the YouTube video conversions) being more than "3.05 metres high internally (floor to ceiling)" would not be defined as a "caravan" and therefore having a converted one on your property would automatically breach planning, wouldn't it - then what do people do with them after they have converted them? Or am I missing something  ??? ??? ???

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Double Deckers breach perm. planning?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2022, 03:26:53 pm »
What height are they?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Goatherd

• Joined Dec 2014
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2022, 04:10:24 pm »

Double deckers are 4.4 m  or 14ft high

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2022, 04:40:29 pm »
I think, technically, it would be ok as the height is defined as "floor to ceiling" and not "roof height". I know someone locally who built a 'chalet' under the definition of mobile home and had a very high pitched roof on it - but as the ceiling was below 3.05m the roof height was irrelevant. But that does assume however that they don't measure downstairs floor to upstairs ceiling.

In practice it might depend more on if one of your neighbours makes a complaint.

beeliever

• Joined May 2022
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2022, 07:09:31 pm »
Yes, but under what Law / Regulation would they complain under?

I know a man that hates his next door neighbors massive Motor Home parked right outside the side of his house, blocking the light, etc. BUT the Motor Home isn't being lived in, and isn't breaching any Laws so nothing can be done...

However IF the internal height of the Motor Home was over 3.05m (this can be guessed at from viewing it externally) then a legitimate complaint can be made and the Motor Home would have to be moved ... and presumably sold.

*I think it's reasonable to say that the internal height of a Double Decker bus is greater than 3.05m - measured from the Floor to the internal side of the 'Roof' - that method of measurement would certainly be in keeping with the 'spirit' of the interpretation of the Planning Laws*

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS