Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rodents  (Read 3176 times)

The Woodsiders

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Near Horley in Surrey
Rodents
« on: March 19, 2014, 11:54:06 am »
We had a dreadful smell develop in our kitchen in one corner, could not trace what is was so had the dishwasher out, took  all the pipework out from under the sink, cleaned the drains but the smell got worse, had the floorboards up upstairs and found nothing, in desperation started sniffing the walls in the area where the smell was, lo and behold I found a patch that absolutely stunk, think something got in through an air brick or somewhere, got into the cavity and has died, there is no access to this area unless I take part of the roof off, resorted to spraying the wall area with a deodorant, can anyone give me an idea of how long the smell is likely to linger.
Thanks

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
Re: Rodents
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 12:32:52 pm »
Quite a long time - until it has dried out.  We had the same problem a few years ago.  Any chance of taking out a couple of bricks at ground level and getting a vacuum pipe in there?  You never forget that smell ::)

cans

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 01:34:52 pm »
No you never forget that smell!!!  Like Bramblecot says it will take a while.  Lots of very powerful air freshener blocks to attempt to cover the smell

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 02:10:20 pm »
We had mice that did that - two weeks and lots of nice smelly candles and it was gone.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

moony

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Dent
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 07:59:05 pm »
Should be gone in a fortnight or so, or your nose will blank it out after that. Its certainly a lovely memorable smell!

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 08:06:34 pm »
yes agree couple of weeks, just be grateful it's not summer or the flies would drive you mad.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Somewhere_by_the_river

• Joined Dec 2013
  • Near Llandeilo
    • Angela French Graphite Artist
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 08:18:41 pm »
We used to get the same problem (hopefully not now that we're in a solid stone building!) - agree with the two weeks, just don't invite anyone round in the meantime!!  ;)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 10:57:17 pm »
It does start to be less obtrusive as time goes on. I had one and it lasted about three weeks. It was a very long three weeks.

The Woodsiders

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Near Horley in Surrey
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2014, 07:35:51 am »
Thanks for your replies, the smell seems to be diminishing slightly but in the meantime we both look quite attractive wearing the gas masks.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2014, 10:36:51 am »
I recommend pine scented incense sticks, or a dish of Jeyes fluid, creosote or TCP - not the nicest smell in the world but better than the alternative.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2014, 11:19:10 pm »
Thanks for your replies, the smell seems to be diminishing slightly but in the meantime we both look quite attractive wearing the gas masks.

:roflanim: :roflanim:

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2014, 07:12:07 pm »
TCP Marches?  Have you lost the plot ?  Do you still get it come to think?  :D
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

The Woodsiders

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Near Horley in Surrey
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2014, 11:22:33 am »
The smell seems to have gone, hooray,  :excited: or it could be that it felt it could not compete with my trainers :thumbsup:

wayfarer

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2014, 01:58:43 pm »
You can get some odor eating gel like stuff that gets rid of dead rat smells.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2014, 10:44:07 pm »
Or dead trainers.  :roflanim:

Glad it's finally gone. Off with the gas masks.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS