Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What is your broadband speed? Less than 10Mb?  (Read 7689 times)

ramon

• Joined Feb 2014
What is your broadband speed? Less than 10Mb?
« on: February 25, 2016, 11:19:59 am »
These are quotes from today;s BBC news:
Ofcom also said there was a digital divide in the UK between those with the latest technologies, and those without.
It has proposed that decent, affordable broadband should be a universal right.

The report, Making Communications Work for Everyone, says: "We will work with the UK Government to make decent, affordable broadband a universal right for every home and small business in the UK.
The universal right should start off at 10Mbits per second for everyone, and then rise in line with customer demand over time."

The report, Making Communications Work for Everyone, says: "We will work with the UK Government to make decent, affordable broadband a universal right for every home and small business in the UK.
"The universal right should start off at 10Mbits per second for everyone, and then rise in line with customer demand over time."

Many of you will live outside towns and villages and it would be interesting to know what broadband speeds can be obtained in rural areas.
It may be useful to give your general location: I am in Dumfries and Galloway. My broadband speed via telephone lines is 0Mb ( I do have satellite broadband)

Strangely different speed checkers give different data so maybe anyone interested could use this:

http://www.broadband.co.uk/broadband-speed-test/

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: What is your broadband speed? Less than 10Mb?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 11:26:26 am »
0.8 t 1.2 Mb on a good day.....

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, 12:25:23 pm »
1.9M - Carmarthenshire
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 01:20:43 pm »
Interesting I took the test on your link and it gave a result of 7.01mb but the blurb said I could get 5.5mb on my phone line.  The results were taken using my phone line.

UPoneacre

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Llanidloes, Powys
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 02:02:55 pm »
Ours varies from 3.8 to 5Mb, but after 7.00 in the evening it drops, and frequently drops out - typically 4 - 5 minutes on then off for maybe 10-12 minutes; makes a complete nonsense of 'connectivity'. That's probably better than some of our few neighbours can get here in mid Wales on an up country dead end road serving only a few farms and holdings. According to BT recently we're unlikely to see any signs of fibre or any other improvement here for several years.

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2016, 02:55:24 pm »
4.23 mb just now. Rubbish mostly tho seems others are worse. Rural mid devon

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2016, 02:59:40 pm »
Only 4-6MB here, and I live 6 miles from Cardiff.  They are currently in the process of putting in fibre (just as I'm about to move elsewhere!) - luckily our hamlet has its own cabinet - there are houses between us and the local exchange that get worse speeds (like <1MB) because of their distance from the exchange or a local repeater cabinet.

[member=30132]UPoneacre[/member] - I think if you get drop outs like that it is due to interference from some other device (and it could be anything, not even related to your property), and it's probably due to deterioration of the copper cables somewhere.  Openreach will help you but only if you can recreate the problem, i.e. you need to know exactly what causes it ... which is like finding a needle in a haystack. :(
(I used to work for the company that made the gear that BT install in street cabinets and exchanges)

This is a useful page: https://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search  it will tell you where your local exchange is (so you can see how far away you are) and what services are available from it.  Lookup under the bt wholsale section - ADSL & ADSL Max are your standard broadband, and 21CN is fibre.  You can find charts online somewhere that show how broadband speeds drop depending on the distance from the exchange.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2016, 03:44:31 pm »
Our broadband speed is fairly pathetic but things work so much better than a few years ago, when the connection would keep cutting out.  It turned out that a farm between here and the local town had electric fencing running down the roadside which was shorting to vegetation, and breaking our connection.  He only uses that field for arable now so the problem has gone - nice to have considerate neighbours  :thumbsup:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2016, 05:04:57 pm »
2-3mbps ceredigion. I have a terrible problem with Mbps, I am with Onebill Telecom and have been since last summer; They keep on capping our broadband and we have had so many problems with them, but I cannot get out of the contract till this summer, they are robbers and I strongly support anyone who does not go with them.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 06:12:14 pm by waterbuffalofarmer »
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

crofterswife

• Joined Apr 2015
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2016, 05:08:41 pm »
0.4mb as slow as dial up! Scottish Highlands.

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2016, 05:29:39 pm »
2.84mb - Carse of Gowrie.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2016, 06:49:32 pm »
0.45mb   Loch Fyne  Argyll

UPoneacre

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Llanidloes, Powys
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2016, 07:38:27 pm »
Goodness me - reading those speeds makes me feel quite well off!

Foobar - many thanks for that info/link - I'll have to look into that; it does seem strange that the problem starts at the same time every evening.

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2016, 08:56:55 pm »
4.76 MB here . Great wealth of service it seems. Feels fairly useless most of the time and I use satellite.
Bring on the campaign for mains drains for all, tv signal for all, mains water for all, radio would be nice... Oh and mobile signal would be nice too!! Wouldn't swap where I live tho????

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2016, 08:58:13 pm »
0.31 and I am close to Winchester and Southampton!!  Its has always been rubbish at my house, my phone line goes across the farm, up through an 80 acre wood and then to my house!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS