Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: second time hatching, excited!  (Read 3363 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
second time hatching, excited!
« on: June 10, 2016, 09:23:49 am »
As it says..... well I am about to pop them under the broody hen now after being rested for nigh on 24 hrs. I only hope they hatch, sooooo nervous! I am going to follow the tip about corn what else do I need to know?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
Re: second time hatching, excited!
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 10:24:21 pm »
Kick the broody off every day so she can eat drink dustbathe and most importantly, poop somewhere other than in the nest, so contaminating the eggs! They go back of their own accord normally, but check she has after about 20 minutes.

And put her somewhere where other hens can't push her off and add eggs.

Good luck!

BrimwoodFarm

• Joined May 2016
    • Brimwood Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 10:27:04 pm »
Kick the broody off every day so she can eat drink dustbathe and most importantly, poop somewhere other than in the nest, so contaminating the eggs!

Totally this. My Silkie got herself into so bad a condition I had to take her and the eggs into a cardboard box in the living room halfway through incubation to make sure she was eating. All went well after that - apart from the fact she's now got chicks and is a demon chicken from hell!

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2016, 11:33:26 pm »
I dont need to kick her off she comes out eats and drinks and then goes back in 10 mins in all. thats when i open the door of a morning and she is so clean always poops outsude never in. i put her by herself in a house and run and she is so good, non aggressive and lets me feed her water whilst on the nest. :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

BrimwoodFarm

• Joined May 2016
    • Brimwood Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 10:39:57 am »
I dont need to kick her off she comes out eats and drinks and then goes back in 10 mins in all. thats when i open the door of a morning and she is so clean always poops outsude never in. i put her by herself in a house and run and she is so good, non aggressive and lets me feed her water whilst on the nest. :)

Great hen!! I thought mine was nippy when she was incubating...now? She's downright fearless. Attacks me, the dogs, anything that moves!  :o

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2016, 01:04:00 pm »
Haha that's the sign of a good broody  :thumbsup:
I've had a nightmare this year with broodies changing their minds after a week, so I've just used them to foster Incy hatched chicks, which is going well.

Good luck with your hatches  :fc:

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2016, 05:13:26 pm »
First timer here so nothing to add, but what is the corn tip?

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2016, 09:26:34 am »
well [member=25651]Dans[/member] somrone said to feed a broody hen corn as she will digest it more slowly and wont poo as much and get eggs all mucky. So far so good no eggs have been kicked out, I am just hoping they hatch ok. One question how long after they hatch before introducing them to chick crumb?

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2016, 09:38:30 am »
Give them water (in a shallow dish so they can't fall in) and chick crumb as soon as they're hatched, then leave Mum to it. She'll guide them to the feeder when they're ready.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2016, 01:13:22 pm »
I feed the broody chick crumbs the last week or so, with it being high in protein she will be needing it by then, it's also there for the chicks when they come out.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS