Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ducks and dogs?  (Read 2852 times)

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
Ducks and dogs?
« on: July 08, 2013, 06:43:20 pm »
One of my (hen) egg customers was talking about installing a pond with an island in her garden so she could get a few ducks..  She was round today so I asked and theoretically she would be ready in 4 weeks or so, maybe a bit after, but she was worried about her dogs getting hold of them particularly if she bought young ones.

She has 2 Bouviers, both rescues and fabulous big dogs, they never bother other dogs but she says they've killed partridge they've cornered in the garden before now and she'd hate to have ducks that didn't make it if they're basically doomed..  ???

I have already mentioned I may be able to source ducks or ducklings for her if and when she's ready to go, but I said I'd ask what duck and dog owners thought and whether there are any breeds or ages that would have a better chance, more flight capable for instance or more assertive? 

I know nothing about ducks whatsoever, but I also know I thought letting my hens free range with 3 cats would be a challenge and it hasn't proved to be an issue at all - tho I'm worrying about the wee chick when it gets to go out but that's another story.

Any duck or Bouvier de Flandre breed gurus that can reassure her or else tell her to not waste time with the island and just go for fish?  She has a massive garden so it'll be a decent size pond, not a goldfish bowl, and professionally constructed/landscaped as far as I can make out.

If I cross post this in the dog section I apologise for any irritation but I don't know if non-poultry owning dog folk might know representatives of the breed that live happily alongside ducks..
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Ducks and dogs?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 07:19:56 pm »
Cats and hens are a totally different thing to dogs and hens. Cats sit and wait for their prey to arrive or stalk it then pounce. They are less likely to go for hens.  I wouldn't trust Rio with my baby Marans, but I could put him in with my adult hens and he'd try to get out of the run away from them.

Dogs will go looking for game and these have already proved that.  And full grown adult dogs are not so easily trained. If teh dogs are swimmers the island will not protect the ducks.

I am also thinking of getting ducks again, as I have a big pond, but not until I have my large six foot high enclosure that they will be safe behind.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

nic99

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 08:00:00 pm »
No chance! If the dogs have already shown they like to hunt, they will undoubtedly go for the ducks, regardless of breed. I have had 3 ducks killed by dogs that have come into my garden. Even if the dogs didn't want to swim, the ducks wouldn't have the sense to stay on the island. The only way she could keep them is if she fenced in her pond.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 09:02:28 am »
I think most cats leave grown hens well alone. Our mog lived a good part of her life with no humans to care for her (before we took her on) and is still a great hunter but does not touch even our small pekin hens. Wouldn't trust her with tiny chicks but that is because I'd rather not take the chance. A friend has 3 ex feral cats, none of which touch any of her chicks from a day or so old that are out with broodies and similar on many farms.

If these dogs have killed partridge, then there is no way you could trust them with ducks. They would just consider them in the same way.

However .....

Many dogs can be taught to respect and not touch poultry but of course they are older so it will be more difficult. Depends on how much control this lady already has with her dogs ..... how obedient they are in general and how much time she is able to spend. Some will learn to leave them while owners are present but would take them if they slipped into the garden on their own without their masters presence. Others can learn that they are part of the family as it were ..... just like many dogs will learn not to chase the family cat but may chase others. Others it would be very difficult to stop.

Hard work and possible tears if she can't enclose the pond at least initially until she works out how her dogs will react.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 10:44:43 am »
Agree - I've got cats and I wouldn't trust them with chicks but they'll not go for the adult poultry (and the cockerel goes for them) even though they could in theory take something that size (they bring in adult rabbits). I've lost a chicken to a dog and I'm sure if they're hunters they'd take ducks too - I'm sure they'd have a go at geese as well. Also if they're not dog safe, they're not fox safe which is another consideration. A big fence would be the only way but that is doable - I'm hoping to get about an acre fenced off.

The other factor I thought was that building a pond for ducks is tricky because you need the water to be filtered in some way. If you just have a pond sitting there that you can't empty out, it'll go stagnant and smelly in no time with ducks in it. Having said that, you don't have to have a pond to have ducks - I've just got lots of water containers of various sizes, all of which can be cleaned out and some of which allow them to swim. But if she's getting the pond because she wants a lovely pond, ducks may not be the way to go....

H

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 08:18:46 am »
Thanks, will pass on the info to her when I next see her. 

The dogs are adult, around 5 and 7 I think, well behaved but beyond puppy training.  She may need to wait til they're old and slow before reconsidering, and only if she's planning to go for a pup next time as she's as likely to take another rescued adult and be in the same boat.

I'm sure she could fence off the area but I think the way her garden is laid out it would be a bit of an eyesore as the pond is pretty central between her gate and her house, right where she looks over it from the conservatory and she had in mind to watch them from the house aswell as care for them.  I'll mention it. 

Water flow etc I think she had covered but again worth mentioning in case.

My guess is it's a non starter but that's for her to think about.  Thanks for the info  :)
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

SouthMains

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 03:58:17 pm »
Our dogs would both happily chase down pheasant, partridge etc whilst out walking if we do not keep them under control, however back on the farm they dont even look at the ducks, chickens or geese no matter what age the birds are. They seem to have some sort of sense that these are part of our pack and therfore are not to be eaten.  We have never even really had to train them to leave our birds alone it just has never been an issue...not sure what the dog psychology is behind this.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2013, 04:16:04 pm »
Breed instinct may influence this.  What are yours?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2013, 08:15:05 pm »
My Wolfhounds also will chase wild rabbits and pheasants if they suddenly shoot up in front of them in the field but they have access to all of our animals including all of the batams and chickens but don't touch them.
It the hens are out and pecking around the dogs just walk through the middle of them as if they are not there
Graham

colliewobbles

• Joined Mar 2013
  • South Norfolk
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2013, 08:54:57 pm »
I wouldn't think you could trust the dogs, particularly as they 'have form'!!  Also agree about the water flow - pond will need to have some way of flushing through to prevent it becoming a muddy puddle or be very, very large.

I would suggest fencing - picket fencing would look good.  We put it round our patio to keep the dogs off the grass when it's really wet in winter - it looks good and has actually proved really handy when we have a friends dog that we don't completely trust with ours when not 100% supervised.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2013, 09:06:13 pm »
my 2 big dogs are trustworthy, my smaller ones arent if they are together. my terrier is a no-no.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS