Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: WARNING pictures of Schmallenberg lambs. these are not nice  (Read 6324 times)

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
WARNING pictures of Schmallenberg lambs. these are not nice
« on: March 12, 2012, 09:07:29 pm »
Hi Everyone i asked permission to post these.
The second picture shows a lamb who was born with a full term twin. the twin is alive and well a ram lamb but as you can see his twin was born dead.
the first picture shows a twin of lambs. the ewe was bleating like she had lambed so i checked her, but she showed no sign of giving birth. the next day she had a small amount of discharge on her tail but still no obvious signs of labour a few hours later she pushed out the full term lamb and i removed the fetus twin from her cleanings. the labour was very quick and although she bleated a bit she showed no interest in the larger lamb.
Sorry if this distresses anyone that is not my intention., but this is how this disease manifests itself.
we have lost two ewes because the lambs died inside them and they did not clean properly

Brijjy

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Mid Wales
Re: WARNING pictures of Schmallenberg lambs. these are not nice
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 09:11:52 pm »
Mother of pearl, those are pretty horrific. What a nasty nasty thing this virus is. My heart goes out to you and to everyone who is suffering this. It is interesting to see the pictures as it gives a visual idea of what to look out for.
Silly Spangled Appenzellers, Dutch bantams, Lavender Araucanas, a turkey called Alistair, Muscovy ducks and Jimmy the Fell pony. No pig left in the freezer, we ate him all!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 09:14:21 pm »
Horrid, but better to know  :-\

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 09:16:08 pm »
Yes I wasn't aware that this sort of thing was likely to happen. Its bad enough to have to deal with deformed lambs but not knowing if your ewes are running around with dead lambs inside is just as difficult. sorry to hear that you have lost two ewes:-(
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 09:32:21 pm »
It's not nice but better to know what can happen - thank you Feldar for passing on information
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 09:34:49 pm »
Thank you for posting. They are awful to see but it is perhaps best to be prepared and know what one may encounter.

Our soay are due to  lamb for the first time soon and hoping that we will miss this. Even if we really enjoy our first lambing season I think we may skip breeding next year if this virus continues to spread  .........just dont think that we could deal with this with our limited knowledge and experience.

Our thoughts to everyone having to cope with it this year.

Hazelwood Flock

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Dorset.
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 10:30:20 pm »
I echo the above, gruesome as the pictures are they show what to look out for - thanks for posting them, and good luck with the remainder of lambing folks!
Not every day is baaaaaad!
Pedigree Greyface Dartmoor sheep.

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 10:35:41 pm »
Thank you for posting, you poor thing to have to go through that AND lose ewes too :bouquet: :bouquet:
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 10:37:33 pm »
That's truly horrid  :'(. Thankyou for posting though.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 10:55:18 pm »
Appalling. Our Hebs are due in 2 weeks, first lambing for them and for us. I'll be heartbroken if this is what lies ahead... and feel desperately sorry for anyone who has this awful situation.  :bouquet:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 01:10:09 am »
Thanks, feldar; I really appreciate the way you and others experiencing this terrible disease have kept us informed.

As to avoiding lambing next year...  I am hoping that the virus does its rounds early(ish) in the summer, infecting all the ewes when they are not in lamb (and when this year's lambs can tolerate mum's milk going off for a couple of days, coupled with having a temperature themselves.)  All sheep will then be immune and there should be no impact on next year's lambing. 

Or have I misunderstood it?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 02:08:59 am »
Thanks Feldar. Usually so excited about lambing which is a little tainted by the threat of Schmallenberg this year. It is incredibly helpful to have some more idea of what signs to look for however. So sorry for your heartache. Bless you for posting such obviously distressing but very important images.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2012, 08:25:25 am »
My neighbour and I both lamb in April (about the eighth in my case) so we have a few worrying weeks left. On the bright side another neighbour who lambs from November to May has had no problems so far.

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2012, 08:49:16 am »
Thankyou all for being understanding. So much press went on about the deformed lambs that i don't think anyone thought much about the aborted lambs. To be honest a big commercial farmer probably wouldn't find little aborted lambs like ours because they would either get lost in the straw of the barn or if you lambed outside a fox would take them. I only saw it because it was freshly lambed.
It does all stack up with why we have had so many singles this year, when we were expecting twins, also why some in lamb ewes suddenly looked empty.
All material sent off for testing has come back positive so at least we know we are not dealing with anything else.......yet
We had our last twin born at the weekend from the same field healthy and happy, so there is a good ending

zwartbles

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2012, 09:07:52 am »
Not a good thing to go through. What is stressing is the uncertainty. We have only had the one case so far but someone 2 miles down the road has had 50% losses. Difficult to endure but the positive is that each healthy lamb is one you might have lost.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS