Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Honey for Chickens????  (Read 10734 times)

Maria1969

• Joined Jul 2011
Honey for Chickens????
« on: November 12, 2011, 06:01:59 pm »
Hi all,

I have some accient honey in the cupboard, before I throw it away I was wondering if I could give it to my chickens??

Many thanks

Maria

1 x soon to be husband, 2 x kids, 1 x dog, 1 x cat, 10 x ex bat chickens, 2 x rabbits, 1 x Gecko and 6 x 12 week old cocker spaniel puppies :0)

robert waddell

Re: Honey for Chickens????
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 06:04:33 pm »
what is wrong with it    in the Egyptian tombs there was honey in them and it was alright :farmer:

Maria1969

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 06:08:46 pm »
Hi

Nowt really but im not a honey lover, (having a pre xmas cupboard clear out..lol)I bought it for my mum when she visited a couple of years ago its now well past its sell by date and I know she wont eat it when she returns, just thought the chickens might like it??

Maria
1 x soon to be husband, 2 x kids, 1 x dog, 1 x cat, 10 x ex bat chickens, 2 x rabbits, 1 x Gecko and 6 x 12 week old cocker spaniel puppies :0)

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 07:51:43 pm »
I'm sure I remember Annie saying she made up a 'porridge' for her chooks with oats, warm milk and honey to feed them when it was cold or if they were under the weather - I've not tried it myself (we never have any left after the kids know it's there  ::) ;D) but would think, as long as it's not mouldy it should be fine.
HTH
Karen  :wave:

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 08:04:53 pm »
best in water in a cold day i bought a sweet jar full off old honey put a spoon in porridge and water in winter its a antibiotic for animals.they need some think when its very cold a nother good 1 boiled egg choped up with digestive bisgits and some salad oil .

Maria1969

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 12:27:52 pm »
Thanks all, I will save the honey for when its colder and pop some in their porridge.

:)

Maria

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 02:51:01 pm »
I can't imagine it would harm your chucks, but you could probably eat it yourself.  I think (if I remember rightly) that when they opened one of the Pharaohs tombs there was honey in jars, and when they tried it they found it was still edible

If yours is just set very hard and crystallized just put it somewhere warm - I rest the jar on the back of the Aga overnight, but you could put it in a pan of water and put on the lowest heat on a ring for a few hours.  The honey should go back to its original edible state.

Or make some honey based flapjacks, or honey ice-cream, or honey cake........

All the best
Sue
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 03:25:51 pm »
Maria,

I know you said you aren't keen on honey yourself. I am not a great honey lover either but have found it is great in sauces, BBQ and teriyaki for example.  A teaspoonful is also good in a smoothie.

Perhaps you can share it with the chooks

Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 03:41:12 pm »
I'm sure I remember Annie saying she made up a 'porridge' for her chooks with oats, warm milk and honey to feed them when it was cold or if they were under the weather - I've not tried it myself (we never have any left after the kids know it's there  ::) ;D) but would think, as long as it's not mouldy it should be fine.
HTH
Karen  :wave:
Yup, when i get ex batts they get set up for joining the rest of the girls, and also in winter - keeps them warm.  Cheapest stuff I can find - and yes, the old stuff will be OK
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Eja1

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2011, 11:28:20 am »
I have bees and 16 chickens and have never seen them try t eat a living (or dead for that matter) honeybee. Also have not noticed any interference with the bees. additionally I've heard (from a master beekeeper with a PHD in entomology) its actually really good to keep chickens with honeybees as they eat the mites that kill honeybees.
10 3D Laptop
10 price reviews Patio Umbrellas

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2011, 01:52:30 am »
I'd be very wary of the Phd guy .. the  various mites such as varroa and braula are fractions of a milimetre to about 1.2 mm across and they are often  found  on the bees burrowed into the ecto skeleton , any that are running free would not be eaten by the chooks as in a grooming session they'd try to eat the bee instead but don't because of the danger warnings of colour on the bee .
 I have seen chickens try and peck a noisy brood box only to see clouds of defensive bees come out at the drumming sound & mob the running away chook/s.
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS