Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 9ac FBT Smallholding - Council Tenancy  (Read 2887 times)

TNBK

• Joined Aug 2015
9ac FBT Smallholding - Council Tenancy
« on: April 18, 2021, 10:21:40 am »
Hi, we're looking at applying for a smallholding that's being put up for tender by the county council.

It's a 9 acre plot, and comes with a house.

We're in the process of writing up a business plan, which we've never done before, and just wondered if anyone else had any experience with writing (hopefully, successful!) plans.

We've looked at templates and guides online, but to be honest, they're all quite vague about how much detail is needed.

There are a few things we're not sure about - such as:

• We don't yet have a 'business' or name for the business, does that matter? Setting one up sort of depends on securing the land.

• Just how much detail do we need to go into? Say if we wanted livestock, do we need to include feed, housing, meds, fencing, etc., etc.; or can it just be generalised, and rounded up, under 'husbandry for x animal'?

• As the plot comes with a dwelling, do we need to take that into consideration for the tender we offer, or just offer for the usable land?

I'm sure there are a dozen other things I've not thought of, so might add more questions! It's just that from what we've seen online, there's not a lot of good guidance on how to write up a farm business plan for a county farm.

Any help greatly appreciated, if anyone has a plan they don't mind us looking at, so that we can see what was included, that would be amazing!

Thanks.

terrym

• Joined May 2021
Re: 9ac FBT Smallholding - Council Tenancy
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2021, 01:33:20 pm »
I would add that in the plan make sure to have a SWOT section. These are your strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats. Its a worthwhile exercise to go through as analsying what you are thinking and getting it onto paper either stimulates further thought or helps identify shortcomings.

Additionally you should have a business, revenue and monetisation model and how you plan to break even and then make profit, including all your costs, revenues and a five or even ten year projection.

I hope that helps, Terry.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2021, 01:45:02 am »
Hi.
I don't think I can offer any pearly words of wisdom here, but I so wish you the very very best of luck [member=143707]TNBK[/member]. 

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2021, 01:07:46 pm »
I would add that in the plan make sure to have a SWOT section. These are your strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats. Its a worthwhile exercise to go through as analsying what you are thinking and getting it onto paper either stimulates further thought or helps identify shortcomings.

Additionally you should have a business, revenue and monetisation model and how you plan to break even and then make profit, including all your costs, revenues and a five or even ten year projection.

I hope that helps, Terry.
And to be honest it's all guess work since you've not got a business at the moment.
My advice would be to actually decide what you would LIKE to do, and start your business plan on that, and add in other activities you think might create an income stream.  If the house is big enough, you might look at adding in B & B or even Glamping on the land
A portfolio of income often brings better results and spreads the risk.

This has been discussed before - PMed you with the link
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 01:15:06 pm by doganjo »
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS