Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sub-cutaneous injections - sheep  (Read 1737 times)

patrickr

• Joined Apr 2022
Sub-cutaneous injections - sheep
« on: October 20, 2023, 11:30:13 am »
Hi

The trouble with having a small flock is that some things you do things so rarely, you forget how to do it the next time.  Very early in the year we injected one of our Shetland ewes with 1.5ml of Metacam using a yellow syringe.  We preferred the flap of skin behind the front leg (armpit?) because it's easier to see the skin.  Made a tent shape and injected.  No problems.  This time we did the same thing on another ewe but made a real hash of it.  Couldn't find a flap of skin, went in at the wrong angle, couldn't get the needle in, sprayed fluid before it was injected - and then there was an alarming lump after the injection (what's that!)!  Has anyone got a link to a good video on this or practical guide.  It was so easy the first time. This ewe did have more fleece around the area, to be fair.  Any guidance, gratefully received. 
Don't just do something, stand there!

Bywaters

• Joined Apr 2016
Re: Sub-cutaneous injections - sheep
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2023, 04:06:48 pm »
Sorry I haven't got a video or guide

Cheif injectorist on my holding is my (ex-nurse) wife, followed by daughter and then myself

We tend to inject heptovac in the neck area and metacam on the back , as it is easier to find the skin and lift it

We use 19g 1 1/4 inch needles

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2023, 07:18:14 pm »
ADHB Data sheet and video on administering medicine to livestock linky

:Bookmark:  administering medicines injecting drenching
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2023, 10:35:17 pm »
You can also ask your vet to give you a demo if you don't have a handy nurse in the family  :D

It's very easy with a sub cutaneous injection to go in one side and straight out the other, hence spraying fluid everywhere.  My advice is to get a good hold of your sheep first (a helper perhaps or sit the sheep on its bum) so you are not rushing to stab quickly.  It doesn't really matter where you choose to inject but some areas have looser skin than others, so make sure you're choosing your site for looseness of skin rather than because that's where a book or someone has told you to inject.  Different animals will have different skin and with some you need to search a bit. Take your time!
It says 'pinch the skin' but don't!  If you pinch tightly then you will inject yourself, hence taking your time and being relaxed. Pinch gently and lift a tent of skin away from whatever is beneath it, then push the needle in, slightly down from your fingers but not so that you hit muscle of bone. You can judge how far to push in the needle (use a short one) by the position of your fingers, which you will automatically avoid.  Inject slowly, especially if you are using a small bore needle - the narrower the needle, the faster the liquid will go in for the same pressure on the plunger. Fast liquid equals tissue damage.
If you have a large volume to inject, then give it over several sites to avoid a large amount of medication having to be absorbed from a limited area.  Usually the chosen sites for a large volume is in four places over the ribs.  Choose each site carefully as in some places the skin is very tight to the ribs but in others it's looser.  Find out before you start.  With a bit of luck your sheep will have fallen asleep by now :hugsheep:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS